BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:22 pm

patlac

Hi from a newbie I have been given a 1986 K100RS Which was left outdoors for a few years, It has 40K KMS and engine sounds sweet.I want to strip and have frame powder coated. What is the best way to go about stripping I have been told to Drop out the engine then remove loom I am promised a Haynes Manual but want to go ahead with strip. I have removed all the plastics and am looking at the vast wiring any suggestions appreciated. I have done this on a Honda CB750 DOHC. but this looks more complex.Embarassed

2Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Patlac,

Have a look at This page
This is exactly what I did few years ago.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:26 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Take lots of photos...and then take a few more just in case!

Stick labels on everything.

I'll have to get out more. All these people getting bikes given to them and others finding them in barns/sheds. Crying or Very sad

Welcome Patlac.

Last edited by blakey on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : carnt spel reel wel eh!)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Ditto on taking more pics than you think you might need! Especially from different angles.
Welcome aboard Patiec! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Smile

OG

5Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I do agree with Blakey and Oldgoat.
When I stripped my K100, I took only few pictures to create a simple web page about the renovation. I got so many comments and questions that I had to start this forum. Look at the result... A world wide community of K100 enthusiast people!
Patlac, contact me by PM and I will give you a link to the Clymer and Haynes manual.

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:56 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
So that's how this forum started!

Live and learn.

Thanks Crazy Frog for all of your work.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:57 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
a fantastic job bert .....cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
You've created a priceless resource for folks like us. Thanks and Well done! and welcome aboard patiac.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

9Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Frame Strip Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:07 pm

patlac

Thanks Guys I have camera ready to start shooting, What I need to know is should I remove wiring harness first or drop engine. The engine is very dirthy and needs a good cleaning to remove corrosion on Casings any way of doing this without expense of getting it blasted.Glad I found this site you guys are very helpful.Any more suggestions welcome.

10Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I did a complete teardown as well, and followed Crazy Frog's restoration page. The simple answer to your question is take out the engine before the wiring loom.

Frame Strip 009a10

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

11Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Now that is a proper restoration! Fantastic pic C. Cool

OG

12Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:49 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
now ...just imagine ......buying all those bits as spares ......crikey we would have our first million dollar bike ?...giggles

great work club c

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:19 pm

patlac

Thanks to all for info,especially Bert I will roll up the sleeves and get to work 1 more question on the main Elec box I see a Key switch What is it for?.

14Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:52 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Alarm

15Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty frame strip Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:15 pm

patlac

Crazy Frog wrote:I do agree with Blakey and Oldgoat.
When I stripped my K100, I took only few pictures to create a simple web page about the renovation. I got so many comments and questions that I had to start this forum. Look at the result... A world wide community of K100 enthusiast people!
Patlac, contact me by PM and I will give you a link to the Clymer and Haynes manual.

Hi I would like to get access to manuals if at all possible. Patlac

16Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

patlac

Hi sorry for delay as I am organising a plan of action any help re Manuals appreciated

17Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:27 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
patlac, PM Crazy Frog as per his request. He will hook you up.

18Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Frame Strip Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Pat O'D

Pat O'D
Silver member
Silver member
Hi from another newbie I now have a 1991 former Police K100LT with high mileage, it will require a lot of TLC to return it to its former glory. so I was delighted to find this Form which I think will help me to get it back on the road. I have been reading through the form and the amount of expert friendly advice is obvious. when i get organized and learn how to post pictures i will do so, with your help looking forward to my new project

Pat

19Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 am

Dewey V

Dewey V
There is a lot of good information on this forum, I'm glad I found it.

20Back to top Go down   Frame Strip Empty Re: Frame Strip Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Life time member
Life time member
patlac wrote:
Crazy Frog wrote:I do agree with Blakey and Oldgoat.

Hi I would like to get access to manuals if at all possible. Patlac

Hi Patlac and welcome you need to put up an intro in the new members section then PM Crazy Frog to get the access tot he downloads. Looking forward to seeing on the road with us for a group hook up. I'm not far down the coast (Gorey) from you.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum