BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'Day all, This is my first post so here goes:The collant warning light on my K75 switches on and stays on as soon as ignition is turned on.When temperature sensor is disconnected,said light stays on.The light goes off only when temperature sensoe switch (relay ???) is unplugged. Any ideas??. I'm thinking it is the temp.switching unit. Thank you all in advance.Tom Grabau

2Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya tom ..........

the temp sensor works from high value to low ..... low( under 200 ohms) being the replication of a high temp .

im guessing there is either a fault in the temp relay or a short in the sensor path....(this could be that the sensor is faulty or a cable pinched touching earth ?)

if you follow the interactive wiring diagrams you should be able to take measurements in the cabling at least .

but i would be measuring the active wire from the sensor to the temp sensor unit with the relay part unpluged ....and also earth to see what measurement you get (there should be something under 10,000 ohms)

measurement between the wire and a good earth

if it is short .....you may have to get the sensor unpluged to test the cable alone .

hope that helps some

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:28 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day charlie99, Thanks for that info.I will let you know how I get on.Cheers Tom Grabau

4Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:51 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the surname is kinda familiar tom ....any relation to ulrich ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day charlie99, the surname is a bit familiar since Ulrich is one of my

younger brothers. I hav'nt had a chance to check that warning light out . I'll keep you posted. Cheers Tom

6Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:57 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day charlie99, I have carried out the couple of tests you suggested and the readings were fine.So I'm thinking the temp.sensor relay is kaput.I'll borrow a relay from a bike wrecker mate of mine and see what happens.If the problem is solved I'll repolace the relay. Thanks for your help. Cheers Tom Grabau

7Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day charlie99,Thanks again for your help re this coolant warning light.The problem was solved by my 'borrowing' a temp.sensor relay which solved the warning light issue.Before installing the radiator & Fan a check found that the fan motor was kaput.I reckon the crook fan damaged the sensoe relay & hence the problems.It's all good now.Cheers Tom

8Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah nice work tom ......id be guessing that many of us need to do a test regularly on that poor old wind turning device ...id be thinking that the lack of use would certainly contribute to the thing siezing up over time (and in turn zapping the relay with the high currents it would try to draw )....matter of fact i read in here somewheres that some one put a bypass type switch on the circuit to ....erm excersize the fan periodically ....mater of fact i think mines gone west too ....but i intend to give it a good run and check the whole system before our big event ....and summer arrives ..

9Back to top Go down   93K75S Coolant Warning Light Empty Re: 93K75S Coolant Warning Light Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have been working on putting a Davies Craig fan (high quality) on the K11. I have yet to see if I can buy a cheaper one that is waterproof.

Davies Craig make one the right size but at $200 I have not bought one just to experiment.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum