BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Notes on tyres - Pirelli endorsement Empty Notes on tyres - Pirelli endorsement Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:08 am

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
My '85 K100RS had brand new BT45s on it when I got it, and they worked very nicely. Then I got a new tyre guy to put tyres on, and he basically stuffed it up - the handling degraded, nasty headshake remained even after I got the dying headset replaced, and I went back to BT45s, which made it a very happy bike again.

My girlfriend's '84 model had quite new Metzeler Lasertecs on it and she has never been happy with them. She was getting a little headshake, adjusted tyre pressures and only mostly managed to get rid of it. Her bike has always steered lighter than mine at slow speed but felt lifeless in the corners at road speeds (mind you, that didn't stop her saying "I thought I should slow down over the crest, glanced down after coming around the corner, and I was still doing 100!") Along with a seat that doesn't quite suit her (she's taking it to John Moorhouse, for those of you in Brisbane), she's been avoiding riding casually.

Ray Peak endorsed BT45s or Pirelli Sport Demons ("But that's because they're the only ones I've used. I had Metzelers on my K100 when I got it, and the handling was rubbish.") So, she thought she'd go with Pirellis on the basis they were likely to be stickier, and since she wasn't riding daily any more she'd go for performance over longevity.

Well, today she went and got new tyres because she didn't want to wait until the Metzelers wore down - she wasn't happy doing another long ride with those tyres, and we have the Imbil rally coming up in a month.

When she got back, she opened with "I wanted to come home via Toowoomba!" and then raved some more.

I'm going to have to ride that bike tomorrow night and see for myself Very Happy

(Note: I know some of you use Lasertecs and are happy with them. One man's meat, and all that.)

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
Also: I appear to be a "Silver member" now. Nice.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I had Lasertec on front and back when I first got the K100 and wasn't impressed and went to a BT45 on the front and a Michilin Macadam on the rear and it was good. I moved away from that combination for various reasons and only recently went back to it and yes it's good again, goes where I want it to go and no messing around.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum