BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ALTERNATOR CAPACITY? Empty ALTERNATOR CAPACITY? Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 am

JLK

I have a new to me '85 K100RT with EML Sidecar and would like to set it up to use my own and my wife's heated riding gear. The rig has a car battery for it's 12v source. However, I'm wondering if the stock alternator has enough capacity to handle this increased load. If not what can be done to manage this load?

J L Keen
NE Florida

2Back to top Go down   ALTERNATOR CAPACITY? Empty Re: ALTERNATOR CAPACITY? Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The stock alternator is 33 amp. You have two alternatives one is to get a 50amp alternator from a 1994 or later K1100 or rewind the stator on the original one to put about 50 amps out.

By the time you use heated riding gear, grips and an extra light you are getting close to the real service limit on a 33 amp unit. I say real because you can go to about 25 amp but over that the voltage starts to drop off a little and so the charging isnt as good so you could end up using up your battery without realizing it.

The K1100 unit is the easiest way and you can often pick them up on fleabay.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   ALTERNATOR CAPACITY? Empty Re: ALTERNATOR CAPACITY? Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 am

JLK

Thanks for the info. I'll start shopping for an upgrade.

J L Keen

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum