BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Vibration thru bars and footrests Empty Vibration thru bars and footrests Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:58 am

neobiker99

neobiker99
lots of vibration thru bars and footrests could this be main bearings. the vibration smooths off at low speeds ?
thanks phil

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Did the vibrations appear suddenly, high...low frequenzy, is the bike new to you?
Some high pitch vibrations in the area ~ 3800 - 4300 rpm, is quite normal on these bikes.

Inge K.

neobiker99

neobiker99
yes the bike is new to me never rode a BMW before. The vibrations do occur between 3000 and 4000 it feels like the bike needs to change up but already in top gear.

Welcome to the high-frequency world of the four cylinder K bike. The feeling that you need another gear goes away with increased RPM and speed.

Once you're familiar with the mechanics of these machines, by first introducing yourself to the forum, have a squiz at the download section for the tutorials on ignition timing, throttle body balance & etc., you'll hopefully overcome through careful set up some of the inherent imbalance and/or just become used to it like most of us. They are solidly built bikes with a whole helluva lot of collective miles under them which has established them firmly in the motorbike history books.

I like to think of them as bikes that are as reliable as a fridge but not nearly as cool.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If it smooths out when the rpm goes above ~4300 (and is rather light and high frequenzy)
it`s quite normal.

Inge K.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
If you are like I was, you tend to change up too early and seemingly run out of gearing. Ride around in a lower gear with the rpm up around 4,500/5000 and you will find things a lot smoother. I put a set of inner sole arch supports inside my 20 year old boots, made a hell of a difference to the vibes. (I can also walk again, it's a miracle)
RT

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Vibration???? I always thought it was the excitement of opening the throttle Smile
Seriously after changing the exhaust for a motad the vibration start at a higher rev and in a much shorter band. I have also noted any air leaks in the system ( engine breather hose ) I had vibration starting from 1600 RPM to around 2200 RPM
Tony

Mine's uncomfortably unrideable in the 4300 - 4500 rpm range, the footpegs, tank, seat and 'bars all tingle. I don't even have to drop a quarter in the slot like in some fleabag motel bed in the days of yore, so I go faster.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is quite normal to have a vibration in the rev range mantioned and BMW and others weight the handlebars to minimise it. Make sure the weights are still attached to the bar ends (round 1 1/4 long with a capscrew in the end to hold them on) if you haven't got them blurred vision is the go. Keeping the engine tuned well is a good way to minimize it including throttle sync. I had to replace a fuel pump recently and found that even that helped as it wasn't running well with the old one but I didn't even notice it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   Vibration thru bars and footrests Empty Re: Vibration thru bars and footrests Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
neobiker99 wrote:lots of vibration thru bars and footrests could this be main bearings. the vibration smooths off at low speeds ?
thanks phil

Hi Phil
some vibration are normal but:

more often (aprox 89,5%) of the vibartion come from worn gaskets / tubes from the throttle systems

the complete service has to be done first

partlist with kinks see here
and here How to do it example on K75
all in german - but part no are valid & pictures as well

after that new synchronisation and your above mentioned problem will be less important

11Back to top Go down   Vibration thru bars and footrests Empty Re: Vibration thru bars and footrests Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm

There's no real need to look elsewhere for the information as the throttle intake rubber replacement procedure has been covered ad nauseam in this forum as well. It is well-documented and appropriate as the cause of a certain amount of the Mighty K Bike's inherent vibration on bikes of this vintage. I'd never use a rubber that's been in my wallet for twenty five years so it stands to reason (I'm either not getting enough) or the bloody things are cracking and crumbling with age which allows unwanted and unregulated air to enter the system causing a lean condition leading to some vibration due to running imbalance.

Do a search above the 'throttle body' or 'intake sleeves' and 'voila' there you are.

12Back to top Go down   Vibration thru bars and footrests Empty Re: Vibration thru bars and footrests Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:08 pm

neobiker99

neobiker99
A big thanks to every one who replied to my post. I must admit I've ridden mostly Japanese bikes and 1 BSA which also vibrated but the BMW I thought would be smooth like a Jap bike but I love it and I'll get use to it. Plan to tour Europe next year so got to get use to it. thanks again to every one.

13Back to top Go down   Vibration thru bars and footrests Empty Re: Vibration thru bars and footrests Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
neobiker99 wrote: Plan to tour Europe next year so got to get use to it. thanks again to every one.

Vibration thru bars and footrests 112350 Vibration thru bars and footrests 112350

good idea
if you come to Gemany:

post a little introduction "UK K traveling Europe" incl. your route

in flyingbrick

don´t forget to mention what kind of repairjobs are needed lol!

overhauling finaldrive in Bonn inkl exchange gearbox (aprx 5hrs)
complete sychr. with UDIAG 2 or 3 almost everywhere possible - 1/2 hrs
nice tour though Schleswig Holstein inkl world best Hot-dog in Denmark at Annies in Kruså

ect

we get you everywere in Ger.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum