BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
The RS only has the red 4 litre warning light. Mine has not lit up since I've had it except on one occasion with low fuel, when it was really cold outside last winter and I was moving it from storage to the garage for some off season maintenance. Yesterday I checked continuity of the wires from the fuel pump multiplug to the dash, all ok, checked the bulb, ok. Pulled the sensor out, it comes apart a little, just a couple of wires with two diodes (?). Not sure how to test the guts of this little beauty. Any ideas on what's wrong?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You say it was really cold when it did work so I will put odds on that it is the thermistor in the tank that is supposed to come on at 7 litres. It works by a change of temp by not having the fuel to cool it, it gets warmer and then conducts enough to light the 7l light. If you can't do it yourself then any electronics tech should be able to figure it out and replace it. They go strange when they get old like me.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wish i knew what those parts were ....i have a feeling that they are using standard type diodes (which all have a thermistor/ heat reaction properties ) just what type are they ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
charlie99 wrote:wish i knew what those parts were ....i have a feeling that they are using standard type diodes (which all have a thermistor/ heat reaction properties ) just what type are they ?

Check this thread

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks bert ...seems the only way is to look up some suitable replacements ...ntc 600 ohm at 25c

although i notice some physical conditions that could affect the operation .

the globe if wonky connections would certainly affect the comparitor operation

the connections at the back of the instrument cluster (known for bad connection) would certainly add to the problem .

tolerance drift of the thermistors (due to heating constantly ) actually wouldnt mind betting they have gone high by now , after all those years .

id be reconning that if you found one that actually works after 100,000 miles - killometers and 25 + years -- take a picture--- that would be a rare bird indeed ....giggles

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Does anybody know what replacement thermistors could be used? Type or Farnell no or similar?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Still don't have a low fuel warning light Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Solved. Bought a used unit off eBay, installed today, and once everything balanced to temperature (cool gas, warmer air) I have a red light on the dash. Which will be nice. I went on a ride this summer thinking I'd be ok, up and down some steep hills on the highway, as I would climb, the gas would slosh back and I'd get a bad miss, flatten out or go down, the pump would get enough gas. Limped into a fuel station and had to coast the last 50m. As soon as I stopped the bike, the engine stopped. Don't want to do that again. I'm still pulling bits of the seat cover out of my sphincter.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yay good work

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum