BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 am

Stan

Life time member
Life time member
I am still intrigued....how low can it go with the temperature so that a K won't start. Is it to do with the battery or the metal ( brass or otherwise) refusing to move? In WW11 in the Russian offensive the fluids froze in machinery and no go. Sorry, can't continue, must defrost the tank !

52Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
My K100 won't start till it gets to about -5 because I have the key and I am inside with the fire going.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

53Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm

johnr

i think the viscosity of the oil is the limiting factor, that and ice forming in the inlet tract when a cold engine starts, though this is more of a prob on carbed vehicles, iirc its the viscosity of oil that stops engines dead in the extreme cold.

54Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
K Freak, your honesty is quite refreshing. However you are not as cool as I thought you were.

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I've been told that the lines contain metal pigment that heats from the light beam, resulting in a defrosting affect on the glass plate.
Sounds plausible to me.... :|

56Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Did You Know Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:16 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
This is probably a bit of useless info.....but we noticed on a recent trip to Europe, the Budapest coppers (or some of them) are still on the old K100's. It's great to see the old girls still in use (or being recycled) Cheers Tom Grabau

57Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:47 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Recent trip to Europe?

Where's our bloody postcard!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

58Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:11 am

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
I guess that answers the question, who on the forum didn't get a card.

59Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I did Very Happy

But not from Tom Did ya Know - Page 2 797640

60Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:42 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Barry Sheene used an expression, Answers on the back of a post card, wonder how many he sent.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Dewey V

Dewey V
Prototype from 1979, 1000cc, three cylinders, crank on the left:

Did ya Know - Page 2 K3Motor_zpsb1b4273e

62Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:51 pm

And if you believe that they put the crank on the wrong side then you will believe anything. This is how it was:

Did ya Know - Page 2 Early20K

And to prove that my photo is the correct one, look at the BMW roundel on the engine, the white is at the top right, now go look at your bike.

63Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty As to the post above Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
As to the post several above RE: The yellow(?) lines in the glass in the front of the R100rs fairing are desighned to warm the glass in cold damp conditions for defogging. They react with the light from the headlamp shining through from behind>

OBTW Look what I just contracted to by off Ebay:

Did ya Know - Page 2 R100rs10

All original (except windshield & side stand), 26,000 miles, Nice set of panniers included but not shown.
Recently serviced and ready to go.

Traveling to San Francisco next week to pick it up and ride it home to Phoenix! (brave soul, huh?)

64Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
bikerboy wrote:And if you believe that they put the crank on the wrong side then you will believe anything. This is how it was:

And to prove that my photo is the correct one, look at the BMW roundel on the engine, the white is at the top right, now go look at your bike.
Good one Bikerboy.

I took the picture on photoshop, flipped it horizontally and got a perfect mirror image too.

Look, I can get an Aussie or UK sidecar in minutes:

Did ya Know - Page 2 Eml_ri10 Did ya Know - Page 2 Eml-le10

This is why we cannot trust pictures anymore.

65Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:24 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
What's a TR?  That badge on the fairing is confusing.

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Did ya Know - Page 2 K-dogs10

66Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
johnr wrote:i think the viscosity of the oil is the limiting factor, that and ice forming in the inlet tract when a cold engine starts, though this is more of a prob on carbed vehicles, iirc its the viscosity of oil that stops engines dead in the extreme cold.
 Talking to a friend in the airforce years ago, he was telling me in some of the nordic countries, on some planes they drain the oil from the engine into a trolley type thing once its landed.  the tank is kept heated and they can pump the oil back in quickly when the plane has to fly again.

I've experienced the cold thick oil thing with a friends Honda single, we had to tow it in the end to get it started.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Did ya Know - Page 2 K-dogs10

67Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
This is why we cannot trust pictures anymore.
Precicely
Did ya Know - Page 2 Early210

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

68Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
icK G wrote:This is why we cannot trust pictures anymore.
Precicely
 Precisely
But you can trust this one
Look how patiently she waits while Rick G microwaves his gloves.

Did ya Know - Page 2 This_o10

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

69Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It would more convincing if there was a leprechaun sitting on the fan.Razz

70Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:13 am

Many very old aircraft had oil warmers on them. They were no longer needed when multigrade oils were invented. The main reason for the warmer was to keep the oil thin so that it circulated to vital parts as quickly as possible. These days a 5W40 will reach the whole of the engine quicker than a 15W40 will, without any oil warming system.

71Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 am

Dewey V

Dewey V
bikerboy wrote:And if you believe that they put the crank on the wrong side then you will believe anything.

"And if you believe that they put the crank on the wrong side then you will believe anything."

Please forgive my most grievous error.  The only thing worse than a know-it-all is a smartass know-it-all.

72Back to top Go down   Did ya Know - Page 2 Empty Re: Did ya Know Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Did you get out of the wrong side of bed Dewey?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum