BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   shifting into 5th gear Empty shifting into 5th gear Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:39 pm

joem

joem
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all, i just wanted to ask if anyone has experanced difficulty when going from 4th to 5th. it has just started and i first noticed it when i seemed to find a neutral when going from 4th to 5th, it seemed to need a solid shift to get it to go streat in. it now seems to be getting harder to go streat into 5th. on the way homw i tried it several times but was on the back road so the reves wer low when i was doing it. it seemed to be stiff. any idears.

regards joe.

2Back to top Go down   shifting into 5th gear Empty Re: shifting into 5th gear Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:36 pm

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Joe

I sometimes find a false neutral between 4th & 5th but if I preload the gear leaver just before squeezing the clutch it slips in nicely.

try changing your gear oil, only takes a few minutes to do and a litre of sae90 gear oil will do both gear box and final drive.

Regards Bushy

k100 RT 1988 #0095723
K100 RT 1984 into Custom Single seat.  #0024503

3Back to top Go down   shifting into 5th gear Empty Re: shifting into 5th gear Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:55 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, I get the false neutral as well...but only when I get lazy and don't preload the shifter like Bushy said.

Some people report improved shifting when using a synthetic gearbox oil. I have synthetic in mine, but I don't notice much of an improvement to the shifting of the gears.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   shifting into 5th gear Empty Re: shifting into 5th gear Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:45 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I used the Castrol Syntrax 75-90 oil and was amazed how smooth the shifting is since I did it.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   shifting into 5th gear Empty Re: shifting into 5th gear Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm

joem

joem
Silver member
Silver member
thanks all for the advice, i will see how it goes

regards joe

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum