BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:09 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,

Took delivery yesterday afternoon after what seemed to be a lifetime of waiting but was actually about 10 days! Very Happy So far I'm delighted - much of the 'forum anxiety' has been blown away! In particular I was a bit concerned about seat height as I'm 1.7 m tall and have a 31/32" leg. No problem though, I can get both feet half down or a solid flat foot on one side - easily good enough for me.

Last night I put some fuel in the tank from cans I'd filled for the purpose, got the road tax and went through the various checks; brakes, coolant, oil level, tyre pressures etc and prepared her for today's first ride.

Well to be honest the weather here is dire, 3 degrees celsius or thereabouts and lots of ice from the overnight freeze but the sky was blue by 10. To give the ice a chance to clear I waited until after lunch (that also gave me time to put on new BMW tank roundels!). I started off with some slow speed moves around quiet local streets to try and get a hang of the bike, (including the indicators) and then went for ride up a local 'A' road. Lots of water and road salt around so it was a pretty sedate affair but a great experience nonetheless Very Happy Another forum anxiety issue cured - vibration. What vibration? I briefly hit 70 and 80 mph and there was nothing I could detect - maybe I'm just used to riding inferior machinery! What a great gear change as well - the odd false neutral when I wasn't form enough but that's pretty far from clunky. Exhaust blows a little so if it's not weldable I may neeed to get a new one.

So came back to town and tried some more slow stuff before taking her home; all in all only about 2 hours riding. Gave her a good wash down with cold, fresh water, a quick chamois rub down and a blast with the hair drier on the brakes and electrics!

A few things to do as well as the exhaust, I need to have a go at the seat; it's been re-covered but looks a bit strange at the front and I also would like to get some new grips - the ones on at the moment are the diameter of a good cigar, and I would prefer something chunkier! Smile Any reccomendations appreciated. Finally, the front tyre might be losing air according to the PO, it's got a new valve now so we'll see if it loses overnight. Then in 1 or 2 years time - full strip and rebuild! Laughing

PS. Sorry there's no photo - I have tried and failed to upload; will update when I figure it out!

All the best
Dave

2Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Photo - second attempt Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:14 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Doesn't do it justice on such a grim day

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V First_12

3Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Another picture Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 04910

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice looking bike dave ...congradulations

mmm 3 spoke wheels as well ....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie, it's a great machine. Didn't mention but I was really impressed with the low speed manouverability, the weight really drops away and it turns really nicely.

Were the 3 spoke alloys an option or were they fitted after a particular date?

Life time member
Life time member
Well Done Dave, if you been lashed by the same storms as us then you had a cold spin! After a few more outings you'll really get the hang of the k's balance and feel. I have an LT myself but since joining the forum I've taken a liking to the sporty look of the RS. Enjoy.
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep their only heavy when standing still ...enjoy ..

3 spoke wheels from about 89 when the k1 was produced i think, the wide versions allow for radial tyre goodness ..

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
You and I have almost identical bikes absolute beauties aren't they, the final years were the peak of the evolution of the K100 since all the improvements in the bike like the drive rivets and many other small changes were all there. Plus of course the 16V were more powerful than the 8v.
Regards,
K-BIKE

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi 88K, yeah it's cold and windy but when you've got a new bike you've just gotta go! Strangely my hands were warm as toast - and there's no heated grips. I can only think the fairing/mirrors give some protection. I like the LT and can image the advantages of being a bit more laid-back but yes, I love the looks of the RS - a key factor in me buying it. As my wife said 'it's so YOU' i.e. not bad looking, slightly dated and a bit frayed around the edges (and crap on the dance floor) Very Happy

Thanks Charlie - now I know!

K-BIKE. I hadn't twigged we had very nearly the same bike. Yes they are fantastic to look at and as you say last of the line and in some ways better for it. What are the 'drive rivets' you refer to please? I did wonder of the legendary longevity of the K would apply equally to the 16V head?

Cheers to you all
Dave

10Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The output shaft rivets on earlier models were 6 and prone do coming loose so the factory upgraded to 12. The 16 Valve head is equally durable with regular changes of oil replacement of all filters on schedule these bike are easily capable of well over 250,000 miles and many have gone a lot further.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:21 am

Dunney

Hi. I have the twin of your bike. I picked mine up on New Years Eve and it is now sitting comfortably in my basement workshop here in Central France. Not ridden it yet as I am waiting for service sundries to carry out some recommissioning work as it has not been used since 2004. My 1991 5000 mile, one owner model is a peach and in really amazing nick.

On the seat front, I will try mine first but I had a new seat made for my R by motorbike-seats in Coventry. I am a new boy so can't post links, but if you add www and co uk to the above hyphenated word it should work. Completely transformed the bike allowing for the fact that I am a little on the short side and made me a seat that shape of a backside so that were no pressure points. Gel inserts were also used and the seat transformed the bike. They don't have a picture of a K100 in their gallery but I am happy to post up a pic of the seat on the R it it would be of interst.

Dunney

12Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Sexy in White Very Happy

13Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Good lookin machine!

OG

14Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Dunney wrote:Hi. I have the twin of your bike. I picked mine up on New Years Eve and it is now sitting comfortably in my basement workshop here in Central France. Not ridden it yet as I am waiting for service sundries to carry out some recommissioning work as it has not been used since 2004. My 1991 5000 mile, one owner model is a peach and in really amazing nick.

On the seat front, I will try mine first but I had a new seat made for my R by motorbike-seats in Coventry. I am a new boy so can't post links, but if you add www and co uk to the above hyphenated word it should work. Completely transformed the bike allowing for the fact that I am a little on the short side and made me a seat that shape of a backside so that were no pressure points. Gel inserts were also used and the seat transformed the bike. They don't have a picture of a K100 in their gallery but I am happy to post up a pic of the seat on the R it it would be of interst.

Dunney

Holy Cow Dunney that is a remarkable find! Once you have finished recommisioning it'll be like new! Mine has a solid 87K and looking at the old MoT's did 10-15000 miles per year some of her life. I feel like a caretaker - this bike has been around a bit!

Thanks for the seat offer. I'm going to have ago myself for the time being to just neaten it up a bit with the odd nip and tuck but if that doesn't work I'll get back to you. Thanks a lot.

Thanks all for the responses - she does look great in the photos doesn't she? It's only when you get up close....! Very Happy

All the best
Dave

15Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:47 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

A very nice bike dave you are going to enjoy very much, what no glimse of the HD350 in the pic Very Happy

BIG D

16Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty MT350 pic as requested! Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:58 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Well, at the request of Big D Very Happy here's the MT350 wearing non standard MT500 rear panniers. I've got the SA-80 gun scabbard and front panniers but prefer this look .
All the best
Dave
First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 01311

17Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Dunney

Have to confess that I have the cousin of the MT350, an Aprillia 350. Same lump and heavy as hell, gutless, with rubbish brakes and poor suspension. I hate it. I has festered in one of my sheds for a few years. Small world. My K is up on a bench so not much to look at right now as body work is off, but close up it is like new. Only corrosion is on the four bolts holding on the belly pan. Bit of chipping on the bottom of the belly pan but there is no fender entension. I think I will add one to the shopping list. I think I did OK for under £2000.

18Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:04 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice pic of the MT350 Dave, "sigh" brings back memories does that. First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 177381

BIG D

19Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:33 pm

bjarnek100

sweet looking 4v:D

/B

20Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 pm

dinos735

dinos735
Nice score on the bike. Only had to wait two weeks? try about six month's after paying for one.

I love your riding story. Bring on a campfire after a chilly ride, Neutral can be an issue but years of experience say never trust it, Gingerly let out the clutch until you are sure.

I am sure by now you have a new love that all the members share in our k bike collections of one of the finest bike ever made by BMW.

Keep the wheels rolling and enjoy!

Dino

21Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dino

Thanks for the message mate. Six months must have been a killer! I'm not very patient at the best of times...
Yes, the bike has a great air of quality about it and I'm really enjoying ironing out its wee niggles before the spring.

All the best
Dave

22Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Very nice looking ride MT. I have a 91 LT but am starting to like the look of the RS, a late model one like yours would look good parked in the shed next to the LT. I can only dream. Smile

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 170874

23Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:16 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks mate, it's growing on me all the time. I've just replaced the ignition loom and refitted the grub screw and taken it for a ride in the hissing rain, dark and cold and still loved it!

It's a disease isn't it? Shocked I do love the RS to look at but now find myself looking at RTs on Ebay and thinking a pair would be the best of both worlds Very Happy.

Best
Dave

24Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Balmoral Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:58 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Really mild day, so went for a ride up to HRH's Scottish estate,
Balmoral. This is the bridge that leads to her gatehouse. Queenie wasn't around for tea and scones so I settled for a photo. That fairing is fantastically handsome isn't it?! Getting a bit
more feel for the bike now and really liking it Very Happy Very Happy
First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Balmor10

25Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:50 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Lovely bike. There's nothing to match the excitement of your first ride on a new bike, eh?
Dave, I've always found the OEM BMW grips to be quite nice. You might want to consider fitting a pair of those.

26Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:32 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Brickrider, yes. it is the most exciting point isn't it, when all the planning and waiting is over and you set off for the first time. After that, the process of gradually improving the bike brings a great deal of satisfaction too.
Best
Dave

27Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Those Roads look nice and greasy Dave. I bet you were taking it easy but even a slow spin generates a grin for me Smile

I love the look of the RS and from that angle it's very purposeful. I've never tried one but they appeal to me. The LT fairing is fantastic protection in the winter, on the open road I rest the balls of my feet on the pegs and dont get a drop of rain on the boots and the wing mirrors keep the gloves dry too. I have yet to try it in very warm weather tho'.

Long term (real long!) I would like to find a good RS then I might do a cafe racer conversion on the LT coz I love the look of some of those too.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

28Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:10 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi 88,

Yeah I was going slowly and as smoothly as I could for sure.
There must be no doubt the LT would be the superior big mile muncher but my plans are not to cross continents, maybe just small countries Very Happy so the RS seemed the best compromise. I tend to let my heart rule my head sometimes too and I'd long admired the RS and just had to have one!
Best
Dave

29Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:39 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I like the paint work..Whole bike looks good. I hope to match your fairing someday when I get a complete front for mine.

30Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:06 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

And have one you have and a fine looking one at that, you will have to wait untill madge is at home next time I am sure she would appreciate some fine German engineering Laughing and dont foget to have your little pinky extended when having tea & scones.

BIG D

31Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the etiquette tip BIG D First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 44271 I was hoping to bump in to Charlie and swap owners tips on classic Aston Martins and the like....

32Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:00 am

MT350Explorer wrote:Thanks for the etiquette tip BIG D First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 44271 I was hoping to bump in to Charlie and swap owners tips on classic Aston Martins and the like....

Congratulations on the purchase mate, she looks fantastic

P.S. Please tell the royals that all the ex-pats think they're bludging loafers.

33Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dave, I came across this 1990 brochure amongst my hoard and , well, as it's how your bike looked when new, I thought you might like it.

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sam_0315

No pretty motorsport stripes though.

PM your address if you want it and I'll put it in the post.

Cheers,

Paul.

34Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:15 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul,

Thank you, that's a very generous offer. If you're sure you don't want it I will gladly accept. Very Happy. Will PM you.

Cheers
Dave

35Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:51 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
MT350Explorer wrote:Doesn't do it justice on such a grim day

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V First_12
Where do you get the cool chin fairing???

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Au-log10

36Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:53 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
John

You mean the bellypan? It was standard OEM on the 16 valve I believe but prior to that the same fairing part was fitted to some 8 valve 'K's too - limited editions and the like. As far as I know they will fit all RS's (someone will correct me here if I'm wrong!) So the good news is if you want one they are available from the usual sources (Motorworks, Motobins, EBay etc). There is a seperate steel plate undertray that supports the platsic: they rot so make sure that you get one and it's a good 'un,

Cheers
Dave

37Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:12 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Klompy,

There were various other options available in their day,but I expect you would have to be lucky to find a used one these days. This is mine, bought in '86 which doesn't have mounting frame.

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 02411

Paul.

38Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:36 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
I really like the way that ties in to the fairing Paul - a more coherent effort than the OEM bellypan.
Dave

39Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:53 pm

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Paul that looks amazing....it totally changes the look by hiding some but emphasizing the top and bottom ends.....bet the belly fairing works well at speed too....very nice mate, tidy.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Au-log10

40Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
How many were produced in that colour scheme Paul? John

41Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:38 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Since joining the forum, the RS has raised a certain appeal for me.
Still not yet a bike I would buy, but certainly one to be admired, great pics guys.
A little off topic, 88 I see you have an 1100 screen on your bike , is it electric, do they fit straight on or mods needed?
I was looking at one on ebay, not bidding though, shame.
cheers Ed.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V 10_x_110

42Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:01 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
k100virgin wrote:How many were produced in that colour scheme Paul? John

Not sure, John, I would guess at maybe half a dozen.

Paul.

43Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 am

Life time member
Life time member
vlsuzuki wrote:
A little off topic, 88 I see you have an 1100 screen on your bike , is it electric, do they fit straight on or mods needed?
I was looking at one on ebay, not bidding though, shame.
cheers Ed.

yep it will bolt straight on to the holes but you need to modify the bracket to accomodate the motor you need to raise the clocks about 25mm and get the upper inside dash to go with it.

CF and robmack are the real experts on the job. There's good info on CF's resto thread and Robmack has a great section on the wiring - which I still to plumb but even without it I much prefer the screen.

K75RTP - 1994

44Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
This is my belly Pan. Many different types fitted.

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V DSC01309

First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V DSC01310

Last edited by Ajays on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add another view)

AJAYS

45Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:27 am

TrikkeK100RS

TrikkeK100RS
great machine you have there, identical to the one I have at home! but keep an eye on the front break oil level, I had some serious problems there Shocked

greetings,

Patrick

46Back to top Go down   First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Empty Re: First ride on new to me K100 RS 4V Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
TrikkeK100RS wrote:great machine you have there, identical to the one I have at home! but keep an eye on the front break oil level, I had some serious problems there Shocked

greetings,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Welcome - why not post up some pics of yours? I have had a few technical glitches but not a front master cyclinder issue - YET!

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum