BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:39 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi folks,

I'm losing some air from the front tyre. Goes from 2.2 to 1.5 bar overnight. There's no puncture, the valve core has been replaced so it looks like air is escaping from the rim.

My plan is to put the bike on the centre stand and get the front wheel in the air, by jacking beneath the engine with a trolley jack and wooden block and then defalte the front tyre completely. i'm hoping I can then push the tryre back enough from the rim to use a Dremmel to polish the inside of the alloy. This avoids removing the front wheel which looks like a fair bit of extra work.

Anyone tried doing this before? What sort of wheel should I use to polish - is a mild abrasive OK on the three spoke alloys?

Best regards
Dave

2Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:53 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
gee dave its only about 5 bolts ....4 to be loosened and the through bolt to be undone ...might take you all of less than a minute and nickle antisieze is your friend .
just take note of the position of all the spacers etc as you undo the assembly ...it really isnt hard at all

i wouldnt be using any abrasive at all ...maybe some thinners or similar on a cloth to clean up gunk around the bead sealing area .

if you know a good tyre professional .....take it to him for some pointers maybe ?

how old are the tyres ? some times they have a date code on them

3Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
+1, indeed.

4Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 pm

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
+2 just take the wheel out, remove the tyre and wire brush the inside of the rim.

5Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Gents,

I live a long way from any tyre pro's unfortunately!

Sounds simple enough, I've just never tried it.

Dave

6Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:29 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Dave, I've done it a few times and I am no mechanical genius. If you haven't got the workshop manual, go to the download section and find the Clymer manual first, it has easy step by step instructions. You will need a torque wrench to tighten the bolts back up properly.
Good luck mate
Bob

7Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Dave also check the rim for round mine had to be trued had slight oval that you could not see or feel but the tyre kept loosing pressure . Its got a tube in also at the moment Rolling Eyes and I just haven't had the inclination ( read lazy ) to take it out

8Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:46 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Dave, as the guy's have suggested it is better with the wheel removed and once cleaned you can see if there is any bad pitting on the rim, even a local National tyre centre do bike tyres and carry the correct sealing compound to seal rim to tyre if its deamed that a sealant is required.

BIG D

9Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:05 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Have you thought about overinflating it slightly and then spraying the tire in stages with a soapy mixture? You should identify the leaking area that way. Or once you've removed the front wheel, dipping it in a tank of water?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

10Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:26 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the suggestions Guys, much appreciated. When I find the energy I'll have another look, Clymer manuial in hand. As its showing -6 celsius in the unheated garage, that won't be tonight! Very Happy
Best
Dave

11Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
To close this one out; I overinfalted the tyre on the bike (but within the max pressure limit of the tyre), left it for 10 mins, pushed the bike backwards and forwards a few times in the garage and then let some air out to normal pressure and hey presto - it holds pressure Very Happy .

Best regards
Dave

12Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good result dave ......i would have used club c' s suggestion with a little soapy water round the bead , to wet up the sealing surfaces ...then dry out with a good seal ...a top suggestion

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Congratulations with a new avatar Charlie, it looks like Felix is hiding in a dark corner
(maybe because of the strange disease).

Inge K.

14Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Ok had em in the bath after finding it's leaking again and it needs a new valve body.
Thanks
Best
Dave

15Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great find dave ....

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Losing air from front tyre 44271 I hope you took the wheel off before putting it in the bath !! Losing air from front tyre 44271

17Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers Guys!

I tell you one thing I am a past master at making simple jobs complicated Very Happy

Next time I'll drive it through a river crossing wearing an aqualung.

18Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:34 pm

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
so its ok to bath with your bike but what about sleeping with it

19Back to top Go down   Losing air from front tyre Empty Re: Losing air from front tyre Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
too funny Losing air from front tyre 44271

only whilst camping on long trips col ....giggles

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum