BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty side stand..which type? Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:40 am

tunza60

tunza60
Hey all, ive just acquired a 1984 K100RS, does anyone know what type the side stand is? meaning is it a clutch activated retractable?, electric cut-out, or straight-make sure you remember to put it up type? Obviously the bike ive bought does not have one..yet.
Thanks for your input,
Tony

2Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Hello Tunza60,

I am the owner of a K100rt (1985) and this model doesn't have a switch to cut out the starter. I believe that all K bikes are clutch activated retractable.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Folks,
My 1990 K100 RS 16 valve does not have a clutch activated retractable stand but does have a side stand engine run cut out. That means when the stand is down the engine cranks but will not start and run.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 am

tunza60

tunza60
Thanks lads , i will seek out the cable which i presume connects them.

5Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:11 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi tunza60 my 84K100RT does not have a cable actuated side stand (thank goodness) but it did have a self retracting one courtesy of an over-centre pita spring arrangement which I have now disabled.

I think the cable actuation came in later and disabling the spring mechanism is quite simple turning it into a normal side stand.

regards,

Phil

6Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:36 am

tunza60

tunza60
Phil, what angle do you reckon you get on your sidestand?, ive read that theses bikes lean quite dramatically.

7Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
tunza60 wrote:Phil, what angle do you reckon you get on your sidestand?, ive read that theses bikes lean quite dramatically.

Sunday when I was working on the bike I had a look at my side stand and found that as the majority of them, it is bent too and the bike leans way too much. The side stand should be straight.
The other problem is with time the pivot shaft and bore get worn which add more leaning to the bike.
I am planning to straighten mine next week end when I will do an oil change.
It has to be removed and heated. Don't do it on the bike as this guy tells you: Bent sidestand fix

8Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:35 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Amazing there are at least three members on this forum from Tasmania.

Getting back to the sidestand mine does not appear to be bent but the bike does have a severe list so I am thinking it is in the pivot shaft as Bert suggests although I have had a good look at it even with the thought of different bushings and it does not appear to affect it.

I was toying with the idea of getting it cut and lengthened slightly either that or carry a small piece of wood. Smile

Regards,

Phil

9Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:43 am

tunza60

tunza60
Hey Phil, maybe we could start a Tasmanian chapter?? what you reckon? My bushes seem in good nick on the stand ive just bought, seems as tho mebbe its a natural? lean for this model.

10Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:50 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi tunza60, not sure about a Tasmanian chapter but lunch at Swansea or Ross when I get mine running the way I would like might be in order.

As for the sidestand, the bushing in mine appears ok as well but the gap in the pivot slot seems to be the problem on mine. I have not had a lot of success shimming it out but I have not spent that much time on it either so that may be the cure.

Regards,

Phil

11Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:49 am

tunza60

tunza60
Yes sounds good, let me know when youre up and running.
I think ive bought the wrong sidestand, cant get the springs to fit...bugger!!

12Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:37 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Bit confusing this but not that unusual for these bikes. All the parts fiches I have looked at indicate a clutch actuated side stand but mine definitely is not and I remember the self retracting thing being a BMW invention at the time.

I would suggest the stands themselves are all the same but depending on the mechanism the springs may be different so where did you get the stand?? I can post a picture if that would assist.

Regards,

Phil

13Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
phil_mars wrote:
I would suggest the stands themselves are all the same but depending on the mechanism the springs may be different.
Phil

They are not the same, but both will work on an RS on a RT. The RS stand seems to be the same as the K1100.

They all retract when you pull the clutch, but the mechanism can be easily removed.
See the attached picture:
side stand..which type? Side_s10

Bert

14Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
I just replaced my broken centre stand and have the spring (#13) left over, where the heck does it hook up to? Does this mean I'll have to clean off the layer of gunk under there to find where it goes? Everything appears to work ok, maybe its overengineered? Just like IKEA furniture, always have a bag of stuff left over.

15Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 am

tunza60

tunza60
Phil if you could post a pic that may be helpful, i got to have a look tonoght. Crazy thanks for the diagrams, a little bit of enlightenment has shone down. Does anyone know if there is an actual cable that comes from the clutch or is the stand activated mechanically down near the pivot? You with me?? Shocked !!

16Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
When you pull the clutch, the clutch lever(on the back of the gear box) rotates and pushes the top of the return lever.
This action rotates the return lever pulling the link (small L-shape rod) attached to the side stand.

side stand..which type? Side_s11

17Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:53 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
tunza60 wrote:Phil if you could post a pic that may be helpful, i got to have a look tonoght. Crazy thanks for the diagrams, a little bit of enlightenment has shone down. Does anyone know if there is an actual cable that comes from the clutch or is the stand activated mechanically down near the pivot? You with me?? Shocked !!

Hi tunza60 I am not sure the photos I have will be of much use but I still am of the opinion your bike might have the self retracting sidestand as fitted to at least the European and South African models and should be able to be identified by the pivot bolt:

side stand..which type? Fra12211 unless it is like mine with the extra protrusion removed.

Interestingly no pictures I have seen so far show the early RS originally with a straight centre stand and all the schematics and pictures show the side stand with a curve in them so the concept of them being "bent" maybe a design rather than an age ridden flaw.

side stand..which type? Sidest10

Regards,

Phil

18Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 am

tunza60

tunza60
Thanks a lot lads, i think with the info you have offered i should be able to piece this jigsaw together, i seem to have all the necessary components, just gotta see if the actuating arm is still on the bike. Will let you know how i get on,
gracias,
Tony

19Back to top Go down   side stand..which type? Empty Re: side stand..which type? Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:13 pm

tunza60

tunza60
Yeehaa, my sidestand is now on..(and working), turns out i dont have a retracting lever after all, so its a rider operated job now. Thanks for your assistance to all. Very Happy
Tony. Now for the light switch!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum