BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Bad center stand? Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
Does anyone have a picture of what the old style centerstand on the 85 K100 looks like?

I understand thay eventually break.

I bought an 85 K100 and I cant figure how to tell if I have the original or the updated replacement.

I don't know what to look for.

2Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This drawing shows a -86 on centerstand, the difference is inside the red circle.
On earlier models the welded bushing was much more narrow.

But this mod has nothing to do with the reason why they was breaking.
The place they did break is inside the blue circle.
The reinforcement triangle at that spot was changed from -88 on.
This mod is shown in this document......Note: frame numbers is valid to US models only.

Bad center stand? B0001010

Inge K.

3Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
Inside the red circle , do you mean that the "welded bushing" was narrower in WIDTH? Or that the weld holding the bushing was narrower?

Also, If they break at the blue circle, was there and way to identify if mine was strengthened in that area.

This is all so confusing.

4Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:26 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ajays , and kbike commented about this a while back ....apparently there is secret corrosion in the legs (Pipes) of some versions stands

the best solution seems to be to take the plugs out of the ends ...and treat them for corrosion ...fish oils etc .....other wise brace them with more bits of steel welded in ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
If you do decide to brace that weld, be sure to have a good look how much clearance you need under the muffler when the stand is up, otherwise it'll bang everytime you hit a bump.
RT

6Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Puccini wrote:Inside the red circle , do you mean that the "welded bushing" was narrower in WIDTH? Or that the weld holding the bushing was narrower?

Also, If they break at the blue circle, was there and way to identify if mine was strengthened in that area.

This is all so confusing.
Digging a bit deeper:

The mod inside the red circle was done from 05/84, and not from -86 on as I first stated (by memory).
Have to blame it on the age about the memory.............then it`s not affecting your model.

The mod inside the blue circle you can see in the linked document, newer type is open at the arrows.
But unfortunately it also been examples of the newer type that did break.
The 4V/1100 centerstand is a better design, search this forum about this.

The advice from Charlie about anti corrosion treatment is good, as they are prone to rust from inside.

Inge K.

7Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
Great info,

Thanks.

At least I can remove the centerstand and inspect it for corrosion.

8Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty more centerstand stuff Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 pm

diversity48

diversity48
yes indeed! my original 85 k100rs centerstand broke right at the "blue circle" in the picture. i since replaced it with a 95 k1100 stand which was a direct bolt on. works much better too as the longer "tang" (that you put your foot on when raising it) gives more leverage. the sidestand lets it lean over further than i would like and it appears to be slightly bent which would increase the lean. i've read on this forum about bending sidestands but havent gotten the guts to try my hand at it. i use the centerstand most all the time and have had no problems so far (about 9 months of use).

9Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Please note that the side stands have a 'bend' from new. Thought I had an issue with mine, bought a new to find that it had exactly the same bend.......you live, pay and learn. Very Happy

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Bad center stand? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

10Back to top Go down   Bad center stand? Empty Re: Bad center stand? Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Buying a 4V or 1100 centre stand is the best option unless you are a purist about keeping the exact original look of your K. The 4V/1100 stand can break but in general are much more reliable so a worthwhile enhancement. I recall several list members saying they have had their old style stand break sending their lovely K crashing to the ground Sad
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum