BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Spline lubrication service interval Empty Spline lubrication service interval Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:02 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
I know its about time to lube the final drive splines again and was searching for opinions as to how often to perform this service.
The Clymer manual said every 12 months (includes clutch / transmission splines :pale: ) .To be honest, I really dont fancy doing ALL that again so soon,so I briefly searched the web and found this opinion which seems a very reasoned approach. I of course would be very interested to view your thoughts about this essential part of our magnificent bikes maintenance schedule,and whether you agree with the author.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691571

best wishes and apologies if i`m going over old territory again !

John QT

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Though this isn't quite the answer you're seeking, a long-time colleague, veteran parts guru and dealership mechanic named Jim C from Portland OR USA once told me that he'd noticed over the years that a K bike that is used regularly can go a lot further between re-lubes than a bike that spends most of its time in the shed or garage, unused. It's something about corrosion build-up between the metal surfaces causing spline failure when the bike's use is resumed, dependent somewhat upon the humidity of the geographical location as well, he said.

Having noticed that mine had gone fifty-five to sixty thousand kilometres before it was done I saw little evidence of wear though the splines were 'dry'. The bike was used daily. I reckon if you don't know the interval then it's time for a look-see, but every two years or about what that article's writer recommends outta do it. Experts' opinions?

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Non-expert opinion...

FD: I do mine every time I get a new rear tyre. Once a year is also mentioned. Some say 20,000 kilometres.

Clutch: Some say don't worry about it as this spline doesn't "slide around" like the FD one does (swinging arm movement). Some do it 30,000 kilometres.

But like GITH said, your mileage may vary.

Depends on how paranoid you get about these things. Do it. See what it looks like and take it from there when to lube them again.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Does the final drive spline 'slide'?
The universal joint appears to be on the centre line of the swing arm bearings (I must check that next time I have the bevel box off). If it is, then the shaft and swing arm follow the same radius......
Paul.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
That's why slide is in inverted commas. Through the action of the swinging arm moving though an arc, there is a tiny bit of movement on those splines.

That's from what I understand. Non-expert opinion.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum