BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:15 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Coming home from work this afternoon the bike developed a rattle at about 2500-3000rpm. When i got home i let it sit for a bit and started it again. It is there even in neutral at about 2500 rpm and quietens down if i pull the clutch in. Do they have a throw out bearing on these bikes? Or is it gearbox related?

Really could do without this as i started new job today and the K is my only form of transport.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Noise in gearbox/clutch  170874

2Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm maybe clutch splines cafe....they also need lubrication with the "good stuff " periodically

but will wait for folks with more experience in this matter ....

another thought could be the spring tensioner spring/ washer on the output shaft ...that presure cog that mates with the crank fly cog needs pre-tension somewhat ...depending on year of manufacture and other things ... the rivetts in the output shaft is another thought .......

hope the new job is working out ok .

Last edited by charlie99 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:23 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
check this link.

Inge K.

4Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys, i did the clutch splines and the parts that needed lubing on the clutch when i had the box out to do the main seal.

Everything looked fine when i had it out. As it seems rev related not speed related.Looks like i will have to check the thrust release bearing. Cant think what else it would be as its been running really well so far.

Yeah first day at new job was good,seems like a easy going crew.

5Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Bert it sounds like you may have the same problem that beset me 2 days ago. Did you lube the edge of the clutch diaphragm spring where it sits on the wire ring.
Neither Haynes or Clymer say to do it but the factory manual says to use the same goo as for splines.
I got a sort of half way from a squeal to a rattle and it stopped when the clutch had any pressure on the lever.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:14 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
magic word is Staburag to the wire ring

pls have a look there,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3mVne8Q-Y

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

7Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:39 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
zonenfeile wrote:magic word is Staburag to the wire ring

pls have a look there,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3mVne8Q-Y

Oh where were you when I was hitting my head on the wall on Friday? Noise in gearbox/clutch  61740 Noise in gearbox/clutch  178468 scratch

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
Oh where were you when I was hitting my head on the wall on Friday? Noise in gearbox/clutch  61740 Noise in gearbox/clutch  178468 scratch

1. Reading the BMW Manuals at first
2. Searching for tools
3. Ordering my spares (Mrs Heilman)
4. Asking the guys who ´ve done it before
5. watching the video from Ralf
6. dismounting my clutch
7. destroying my gear switch

and what did you do ?

by the way - obviously you´ve got to do it again !?

don t forget to change the "bitch"

if you´ve done it - pls tell me how it worked

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

9Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have done it again so it should be OK. It was only doing it when hot it was quite as a mouse when cold. I have to take it for a ride tomorrow to see if it is OK. I just might make it a very long ride after Friday. Worst of all I had sold the bike but I changed the gearbox so I could keep the case with the paralever mounts so I felt obliged to fix it as it was a friend of Albyalbatros1.

10Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
"don t forget to change the "bitch" "

Olaf - is that the small oil seal which the pushrod passes through?? others call it the pig!

11Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
All working OK Olaf no strange noises, well except for the strange noises that most Ks make.

12Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:42 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Olaf
you seem to spend a lot of time talking to Mrs. Heilman. Is your bike really that bad or is there something we should know.
RT

13Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:48 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
ungaas wrote:"don t forget to change the "bitch" "

Olaf - is that the small oil seal which the pushrod passes through?? others call it the pig!

Noise in gearbox/clutch  112350

depends on the translation,
we call it "die Sau" - > "bloody Sod !"

"Miststück" = "Bastard" (male) or "Bitch" female

Olaf
you seem to spend a lot of time talking to Mrs. Heilman. Is your bike really that bad or is there something we should know.
RT

no - just mail contact

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

14Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
I did grease the wire ring i think(damn now i cant remember)pretty sure i did it with the spline grease.

Funny thing is it only does it when i give it a blast through the gears. If i ride it nice and sedate it makes no noise.

If i hold the revs at about 3 grand even in neutral it makes the noise and if i put a little pressure on the clutch it goes away. I'm going to check the thrust bearing on the weekend to see if thats where it is, if not i will pull the gearbox out again Sad .

If i just rode it sedately it would be fine, but i cant i just get a kick outa the sound that pipe makes at 6000rpm Smile

15Back to top Go down   Noise in gearbox/clutch  Empty Re: Noise in gearbox/clutch Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:03 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Noise in gearbox/clutch  Smarep10

Inge K.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum