BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:25 pm

rikabee

I just purchased a k100rt which was not running. I can not get the starter to energize through the start button.I have jumped out the starter with the battery and will turn over ok. I purchased a new relay but still refuses to start. I checked the voltage off the ignition switch and get 11.5 volts even though the battery shows 12.5. When I use the starter button it is only 8.5 volts.I can not seem to find why I have so much a voltage drop at the button. I had the switch apart and everything seems to be ok. I have done the trouble shooting from crazy frog. the values I get from the ignition box show the box is bad. I am not 100% sure. I do not want to replace parts that could be good as this could be expensive. The last owner had many electrical problems with this bike and that is why he sold it. Any help would be wonderful as I would like to get it running. Steve

2Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome rikabee!
where do you measure 8,5 volts?

Inge K.

3Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:38 pm

rikabee

I Get the reading at the relay connector

4Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Many of the electrical problems on the Ks come about because of bad earth connections. The 2 to pay attention are one on the gearbox just back from the coils and the other is under the tank on the left side below the top tube (a nest of brown wires). Cleaning these connections is a good starting point.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 pm

rikabee

I have checked and cleaned all the grounds.

6Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
rikabee wrote:I Get the reading at the relay connector
Is that with the connector in place or disconnected?
And have you tried putting battery directly to the relay to bypass the starter button?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
KF, I don`t think ground is the problem as it is a voltage drop.

Rikabee, I would suggest that you check RH switch assy connector under the tank, and check for voltage drop before and after the "button", it`s more connectors along the line before that...but it something to start with.

Inge K.

8Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 pm

rikabee

The 8.5 volts is with the relay connector disconnected. I also jumped out the relay with 12v and it does turn over. I am using a mated cell 16 amp battery. I know that it takes a 30 amp. the 16 amp does turn the starter when jumped out.

9Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
rikabee wrote:The 8.5 volts is with the relay connector disconnected. I also jumped out the relay with 12v and it does turn over. I am using a mated cell 16 amp battery. I know that it takes a 30 amp. the 16 amp does turn the starter when jumped out.
That certainly sounds like it is the button side of the relay. The plug under the tank as Inge sais and try replacing the fuse as I have found that they will be high resistance and look OK.

10Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

rikabee

Iam sorry but I do not understand,the plug under the tank Inge Sais? I thought the fuses are on the left side all together.

11Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The RH switch assy connector is under the tank...look at my post above.

Inge K.

12Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm

rikabee

Do you think the ignition box is bad? What about the ignition switch,and the starting button, it seems like a flaky switch.

13Back to top Go down   starter problems + electrical Empty Re: starter problems + electrical Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You will need to remove the fuel tank to test any futher as the plugs for the handlebar switches and the ignition switch are under there.
Those plugs would be my next place to check as I have seen many of them with corosion.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum