BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 am

jimz49

I was having trouble with my ignition switch a while back and decided the best course of action would be to replace it. As luck would have it I found a replacement on ebay. So today I decided it would a good time to switch the old out and put the replacement in. Much to my surprise when I followed the cable from the ignition switch back to the harness under the tank, I found the plugs (both male and female) had been cut off and the wires soldered together. So here is my dilemma, I need the plug that would be attached to the wiring harness, plus a little bit of wire with it so that I can attach it to my harness. Any help will be much appreciated. I can pay via paypal if that works for you. I posted this request in the buy/sell forum, but not the explanation.

2Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The ignition switch has only 4 connectors, and it could be easy to find an after market connector.
I believe that a simple Molex connector (found for the peripherals in older computers) would work.

I know, this is not original and it doesn't have the BMW logo printed on it, but this would be easy and cheap to find and install.
These connectors have a very tight fit and the pins can handle the maximum of 15A passing through the switch.

Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Molex10

3Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I would consider using the blue 5mm or red 4mm type bullet connectors, (i cant remember what colour the smaller ones are) caravan places 4wd and car accessory stores would have them Jaycars type places. grab a thermoshrinkable capsual and use that. The right bullets will slip right into the 4 pin d shaped plug you have on the ignition cable and the capsual will help house it, maybe some black silastic to seal when done would save you any concerns. Keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

jimz49

Good point concerning automotive connectors. I guess when you get too focused on finding a certain type of connector you forget there are often times other alternatives. I just might pay a visit to an auto salvage yard in the next few days.

5Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:49 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
You probably already know but the colour of the crimp bullet connector denotes the cable size they are intended for not the polarity.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

dbc58

PM sent

7Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 am

jimz49

Okay, here is a picture of the plug on the end of ignition cable. As stated, I need the other half from the harness that it plugs into.

Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Pict6516

8Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Bike wreckers might have a burnt or accident damaged unit you could pinch the plug from, often a fire or damage might only be at the back of the bike and nothing under the tank has been touched. keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

9Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
more or less the same as the tank power supply connection on 85 and on k s

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:more or less the same as the tank power supply connection on 85 and on k s
These connectors is identical, the same connector is also used at the gear indicator switch.

Inge K.

11Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 am

jimz49

Got the plug I was looking for, installed it and now on to other things to get ready for the upcoming riding season.

12Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
There is a story there Jimz what did the plug come off??????? How common is it for we ordinary people to just walk in off the street and snip off a plug?????

13Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 am

jimz49

Not sure why the plug was missing to start with, I bought the bike that way. I was in the process of replacing the ignition switch when I discovered the old switch had been spliced into the harness (both male/female plugs were missing). The replacement switch had the proper plug on the end of its cable and rather than do what had previously been done, I started my pursuit for the missing plug.

As far as the replacement plug I found, I was fortunate to have located a faulty harness from a K75 that had the plug I was looking for plus a few other things that may come in handy some day.

14Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
That plug has another very useful function.
Several years ago some lowlife attempted to steal my outfit. He levered out the handlebar pad to get at the ignition switch wires but in doing so, he pulled the plug apart (under the tank) so there was no way he could get it started.
I often wonder if I would still have the bike had he got it started.
Paul.

15Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 am

jimz49

Clever security system, kinda like a remote kill switch. You can bet if the thief had the nerve to tamper with the ignition switch, your bike would have been gone had it started.
It's a shame the lowlife has no more sense of moral responsibility but to think it's okay to take something that someone else worked hard to acquire. Too bad there isn't some type of apparatus on the bike to deal with that kind of attitude, where the thief leaves the scene worse off for his efforts.

16Back to top Go down   Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Empty Re: Need K100 Ignition Wiring Plug Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:44 pm

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
he would not get far unless he could ride an outfit

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum