BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Lawson

I've read through many posts on here relating to the flat style locks fitted to the 1st generation panniers. It seems that you can be lucky and get some keys but generally keys are now hard to find (or even to make). Does anyone know if the 1st generation locks can be replaced with locks off 2nd or 3rd generation panniers without too much modification?

Lawson.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes lawson ...i have fitted some of the newer locks to my older ..first series paniers ...im particular the frame holding ones ....as the first gen ones wear quite poorly at the leverage points in the lock assembly .

a few of us have found that a soft type of rubber sheet material (glue backed ) often helps take out the minor sloppy fit between frame and panniers too .

lots of articles on panieer locks ....if you use the search function

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:.....
a few of us have found that a soft type of rubber sheet material (glue backed ) often helps take out the minor sloppy fit...
Charlie, is the rubber fitted to the latch, rail or pannier groves? Got a pic?
88KE

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
88KE wrote:Charlie, is the rubber fitted to the latch, rail or pannier groves? Got a pic?
Just sneakin` in.......

I`ve used cell foam gaskets with adesive back (for doors and windows)
at the rearside of the panniers..at each end at the railand at the latch mechanism...
on the K11.

On the oldest (which the Z-frames is much more worn) I glued pieces of rubber
gasket at the same spots at the Z-frames.

Inge K.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Lawson wrote:I've read through many posts on here relating to the flat style locks fitted to the 1st generation panniers. It seems that you can be lucky and get some keys but generally keys are now hard to find (or even to make). Does anyone know if the 1st generation locks can be replaced with locks off 2nd or 3rd generation panniers without too much modification?

Lawson.
Just to add some info......Charlie have already answered the question.......

mk.1 & mk.2 panniers is similar, exept the locks and minor mod at gasket pockets.
mk.2 & mk.3 locks is similar, they are just turned 180 degree.

Inge K.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
heres a pic of the rubbers i installed

you will have to forgive the dirty crud ...from the last road trip

but you can see the depression marks in the light duty rubber and the "newer style locks "

the rubber helps stop vibration and keep the locks from wearing too much ....hopefully

Pannier locks for 1st generation bmw panniers Pics_015

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I did the same thing but the opposite way. I glued about 1/8" thick of rubber in the indentation of the Z bracket. I used contact cement, and it's there for over 10 years.

As we are talking about saddle bags, here is another tip...

On the back of your saddle bag, put a sticker with your phone #. If you lose one (it happen), people may call you first before braking the locks to find any clues about the owner.

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wise idea cf ...maybe i can engrave a plate to attach to the wheel side or front of the panieers ( we have a laser etching machine at work) and some nice old rivetts to hold it in place, all s/s of corse

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
A small engraver (the cheap vibrating one) works too. Do it on the wheel side of the bag as it will be only visible if the bag if off. Riveting on the plastic is another potential source of water leak.

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the pic Charlie.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

11Back to top Go down   Pannier locks for 1st generation bmw panniers Empty Key for original Panniers?? Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:03 pm

paulespo

paulespo
I've been looking for keys for my Panniers. I have one, being a ex-Navy guy I want back-ups. But no one seems to have them. The key that came with the bike are marked 048 but that means nothing to the people I talked to. Any ideas?

Pannier locks for 1st generation bmw panniers Bmw_ke10

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The long and everlasting pannier key thread you find here.
Could be that you find some useful posts..............

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum