BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty body throttle butterfly Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Domingo

Domingo
Hi there,

I'm fixing an old K100 2v and I was wondering if removing the intake box is compulsory for taking off the body throttle butterfly in order to give it a complete cleaning. If not, how should I do?

Thanks beforehand:D Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You don't need to remove the plennum chamber to get the TBs off but it does get an oily film inside and you may want to clean that. You do need to remove the air filter box to get at it easily.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
What's the process for getting the TBs off the intake rubbers and back on again without removing the plennum chamber, K Freak?

Is it:
1. remove gasket clamps and intake rubber clamps
2. remove each gasket individually
3. remove TB assembly
4. reverse this procedure to install TB

4Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Both the posts are a bit ambiguous Rob. I was thinking of removing the plenum from the TBs after the whole lot was removed from the bike. I have not tried to remove the TBs only and I don't think it would be a good thing for the blood pressure, very difficult if not impossible.
So to answer Domingo again you need to remove the airfilter box then the TBs with the plenum in one piece. Getting the TBs seperated from the plenum to remove the TBs by themselves while leaving the air filter and plenum in place would not be at all easy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

5Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, Kfreak. You just verified what I suspected. I'm going to do a TB replacement and looks like it will be a full frame-off job. It would have been nice if there was a way to do it without removing the frame from the engine but I kind of figured I was dreaming.

6Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Domingo

Domingo
Thank you guys,

I'll keep you up to date about how things have gone.

I also think that the best way would be removing the airbox filter. I got a job to do.

7Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:57 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
might be a good idea to check in with gith.

he did the transfer from k100 to k1100 tbs ...and im sure there was no engine . frame removal attempted

check this thread

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1944-k1100-throttle-bodies-on-a-k100

8Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I need to redo the post so here goes. (we all have different names for parts and it does get confusing especially for my ancient and overworked brain)
The plenum is the box directly above the TBs and does not need to be removed from the TBs but the air filter box on the right side does have to come out as well as the Air flow meter part of the air filter box, it can be left connected to the bike and will fold back and sit on top of the frame if the electrical cable is not tangled with the TPS Cable.
Even with the air filter box out it is a very tight squeeze but the TBs and plenum as a unit does come out in one piece.

9Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Domingo

Domingo
Hi there,

I'm here again and the job is done. What I did was removing the snorkel on the right side and also I took off just the air filter. At that stage I could loosen the clamp's screw which holds the big pipe betwen the plenum and the air filter box. Once I pulled this one there were no problem and I got the TBs in my hand. Easier than expected.

Thanks for your quick responses.

I'm totally sure this won't be my last question

10Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:39 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yay !!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

11Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:08 am

Domingo

Domingo
charlie99 wrote:yay !!

Sorry but, I didn't catch up.

What does this mean?Question Question

12Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
A veces Charlie se deja llevar por su Nick...
Sigue preguntando eso nos alegra!!
Saludos
JAP

13Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks jap !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

14Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Domingo,
A friendly reminder please do not post any more questions in this section of the forum, this section is exclusively for all of the experts to post articles and instructions from them on how other forum members should do a job on the K not for them to answer questions about problems that others of us are having.

We look forward to you posting an article in this section which is an instructional article on how to perform some task which has not been previously covered.
Regards,
K-BIKE

15Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Domingo

Domingo
K-BIKE wrote:Hi Domingo,
A friendly reminder please do not post any more questions in this section of the forum, this section is exclusively for all of the experts to post articles and instructions from them on how other forum members should do a job on the K not for them to answer questions about problems that others of us are having.

We look forward to you posting an article in this section which is an instructional article on how to perform some task which has not been previously covered.
Regards,
K-BIKE

I'd like to say that I had absolutely no intention of annoying anybody posting here. It's been a matter of total ignorance, maybe I should have read the main page before posting. Please, accept my excuses, I'll try not to do it again.Rolling Eyes

16Back to top Go down   body throttle butterfly Empty Re: body throttle butterfly Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:02 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good on you as they say in NZ, please don't be discouraged. I and every member looks forward to reading more from you about riding in Spain and to further questions.

The main reason we try to keep questions in the relevant section is that it enables people in the future to browse a section and find information more easily and to keep an eye out for questions about an area of interest to them.

There are many members with a huge knowledge of these bikes that have the most incredibly detailed information in their heads and getting that information is so useful to the rest of us who want to work on a given area of the bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum