BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty One for me too? Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

ffbikersa

Platinum member
Platinum member
nino wrote:
ReneZ wrote:Well, I don't expect the parts dealers to sell hockey pucks ;-)

Nino, like to take you up on that, just because I'm a lazy git! Just PM me how you want to deal with payment etc (PayPall??) and I can give you my address. Thanks!

I ll talk to guy in Hockeye center here in Zagreb. Puck (black or white) is very cheap (1 GBP) and could be my gift to brother in arms, but dont know about postage to Scotland. Have to ask

Nino, would it be possible that you get one for me too? Here in the bank should be no problem to get some Kunas, which I could put in the envelope to cover the postage & packing costs.

52Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Thu May 17, 2012 11:43 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
ffbikersa wrote:
nino wrote:
ReneZ wrote:Well, I don't expect the parts dealers to sell hockey pucks ;-)

Nino, like to take you up on that, just because I'm a lazy git! Just PM me how you want to deal with payment etc (PayPall??) and I can give you my address. Thanks!

I ll talk to guy in Hockeye center here in Zagreb. Puck (black or white) is very cheap (1 GBP) and could be my gift to brother in arms, but dont know about postage to Scotland. Have to ask

Nino, would it be possible that you get one for me too? Here in the bank should be no problem to get some Kunas, which I could put in the envelope to cover the postage & packing costs.

Price is only 10 kuna. OK I ll try tommorow

53Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Thu May 17, 2012 12:28 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Nino, many thanks, well appreciated! noted the postage so ordered me one here (actually 2 ;-)) One for the side stand, the other to fit on the jack Very Happy

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

54Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
ReneZ wrote:Nino, many thanks, well appreciated! noted the postage so ordered me one here (actually 2 ;-)) One for the side stand, the other to fit on the jack Very Happy

Rene, do you want it or not?

55Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Rene one would be amazed at what parts come from where. Made a glass table for the office. The legs were also glass, each made of two pieces clamped together at 90 degrees. The glass top was sitting on these. Anyway when the glass came it was assembled by the glass supplier. The tops of the legs were protected by rubber inserts..........close examination showed the initials GM.....as in Geenral Motors. How the guy knew to get these from his local Opel Dealer.....anyones guess. A bit like the plumber who bought his washers in the bank......1 1p coin was non ferrous and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying washers in the hardware shop. Lateral thinking makes things work...

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

56Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
nino wrote:
ffbikersa wrote:
nino wrote:

I think P & P will cost more, especially as Croatia AND Bosnia are not in the EU, you must fill the customs declaration whenever sending something

57Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Nino, sorry for not being more clear. No, thanks for the kind offer, but found a place here in the UK where I ordered them. If I can find a way I might leave it in one piece as well; sort of build-in big foot with a smile!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

58Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Fri May 18, 2012 9:52 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
captaink wrote: Works ok in garage. . . if it lasts the week i'll post the pic's cheers

well here it is

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Imag0312

4 weeks on and its still there. Cost - nothing Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 723598

59Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Address Sat May 19, 2012 4:45 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
nino wrote:
ffbikersa wrote:
nino wrote:

Can I have your e-mail please, to send you my address?

60Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Sat May 19, 2012 5:16 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
ffbikersa wrote:
nino wrote:
ffbikersa wrote:

Can I have your e-mail please, to send you my address?

Send it through portal mail

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
Tried with a friend to install the hockey puck (which Nino so kindly sent me) on my K 100 LT's side stand today - totally impossible, as the space between them is too small. Even if I would cut the puck to follow the shape of side stand's base, it would bring nothing because it's thickness would still prevent central stand from being operated separately.
Any suggestions what to do? Is the reason why my side stand's base is so close, in side stand'd "leg" being deformed or ...? 😕

Regards
Tarik

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara10

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara11

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara12

62Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks like you have a later series sidestand and an early series centre stand

do you hasve a pic of the centre stand deployed ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

63Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty No pic sorry Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:31 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
charlie99 wrote:looks like you have a later series sidestand and an early series centre stand

No I did not make it, will try later today.

64Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Here are the pics Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
charlie99 wrote:looks like you have a later series sidestand and an early series centre stand

I made a few pics as promised. Could you figure now out what I have???

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara13

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara14

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara15

65Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
after seeing it clearer ...(thanks ) and comparing with my own pics, i am wrong ...it does appear that the stands are both the same series .

cant think why there is a difference between yours and ninos , unless the pivot pin and bush is worn a lot and it is sitting differently

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

66Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
charlie99 wrote:after seeing it clearer ...(thanks ) and comparing with my own pics, i am wrong ...it does appear that the stands are both the same series .

cant think why there is a difference between yours and ninos , unless the pivot pin and bush is worn a lot and it is sitting differently

Nino suggested checking if it's tightened properly. I thought it may be bent - but can't figure out how and in which direction Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 259495

67Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the side stands usually bend in a scalloped fashion ....that is, they bow upwards towards the road contact end . from what i have noticed on others

not much bowing ...maybe 10-15 mm over the total length from the pivot to the foot

youmight need to rotate the puck some to get the right orientation that will fit ? or grind some off to suit , so it doesnt intefere with your setup of sidestand and centre stand

68Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Nino told so too Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
charlie99 wrote:the side stands usually bend in a scalloped fashion ....that is, they bow upwards towards the road contact end . from what i have noticed on others

not much bowing ...maybe 10-15 mm over the total length from the pivot to the foot

youmight need to rotate the puck some to get the right orientation that will fit ? or grind some off to suit , so it doesnt intefere with your setup of sidestand and centre stand

That's what Nino suggested, first cut the puck with a sharp knife to follow the shape of sidestand's base, then cut off (or grind, as you suggest) some thickness so it would remain maybe 1 cm thinck. He says that should raise the bike enough to give it more stability when I use the side stand. But it looks damn small to me then :|

69Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have a piece of wood 3in x 4in x 1 in thick on a cord. Put the block under the stand and the cord onto the handlebar so you don't ride of without it. It's also good for soft ground.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

70Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:17 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
1 cm is fine ....made a big difference to mine ...the lean angle was no where near as bad ...

71Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:37 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Why don't you make your own puck? The process is simple. Just follow the instructions: Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 167893 Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 610153

72Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty permanent side stand puck Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 am

alansykes

Just ordered a couple from Crazy Kenny - what a pleasant chap; he even agreed to post them to my Spanish address. And he says the majority of his sales of hockey pucks are for uses like this, i.e. other than for a game of ice-hockey !

But why-oh-why did the Berlin designers make the bike lean over so far on the kickstand that you're left thinking that at a moment's notice it'll Tumbleova ( famous Czech ballerina)....

Alan in scortchio Mojácar

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com

73Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
My theory Alan is that the side stand is designed as the best compromise for right hand drive countries where the road crown, on average , gives a slight rise to the left making the stand just about right. In LH drive countries the slope is down on the stand side causing issues . Pucks aside , care in parking spot selection makes this a very minor issue in my humble .

Last edited by Ghost who rides on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

74Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:19 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Spotted on a motorbike in Yatala, Queensland the other night is one man's answer to the problem, and permanent too!
Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Imag0324

75Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:49 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmm that wouldnt be the output drive cog of an old yammie would it ...giggles ...itll do

seriously guys i do believe that at one time the side stands were able to hold the bike a lot straighter

i would be guessing that over time ...leverage and all has bent the bracket that holds the stand .....and more importantly the bush that fits through the bracket ....as this is the pivot and cause for all the movement .....nothing to do with the bolt-pin

my new to me, later model centre stand and bracket , for the side stand ,does hold the bike a lot more verticle ...and a cautionary guess is that the bracketing material is just that few thou thicker than the early series ones ...and still bent the right way . so far ..

76Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:28 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Wow, eight toes.........................where`s my nail cutter.

77Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:27 am

TIV

TIV
Silver member
Silver member
Why not take a brake pad, shape it to the same size as the plate and glue it or screw it on? You have a choice of the friction material down or the metal side down. I use a Stixall building adhesive for work like that. Also a great stuff to "plug" the driveshaft to prevent the grease to be thrown into the shaft. http://www.everbuild.co.uk/stix-all
 What a Face

1936 Harley Davidsson 750 (sold), 1964 BMW R69S (sold), 1973 Suzuki RM400 (sold), 1972 Triumph Bonneville (sold), 1971 BSA Thunderbolt (sold), 1972 BSA Lightning (sold), 1977 Yamaha XS650 (sold), 1971, BMW R75/5 (sold), 1973 BMW R75/6 (sold), 1984 BMW R100RT 1992 Yamaha FJ1200 ABS (sold), 1990 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (sold)
1990 BMW K75RT Ex-Police (owned now)
2004 BMW R1150RT iABS (owned now)

Cheers TIV

78Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
ffbikersa wrote:Tried with a friend to install the hockey puck (which Nino so kindly sent me) on my K 100 LT's side stand today - totally impossible, as the space between them is too small. Even if I would cut the puck to follow the shape of side stand's base, it would bring nothing because it's thickness would still prevent central stand from being operated separately.
Any suggestions what to do? Is the reason why my side stand's base is so close, in side stand'd "leg" being deformed or ...?  😕

Regards
Tarik

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara10

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara11

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Nogara12

I have a block of HDPE on my K75's side stand (similar to a hockey puck in thickness.)  I just need to remember to take it off of the center stand before I retract the side stand.

My turbo K75 came with this welded onto the foot of the side stand:

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Kt.052.side.stand

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

79Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:15 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
TIV wrote: Also a great stuff to "plug" the driveshaft to prevent the grease to be thrown into the shaft.
Great idea, TIV!  In North America, that stuff is call construction adhesive.  Popular product names are "No More Nails" and (my personal favourite) "PL Premium".

80Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
What a great fix for an annoying problem on our bikes.  Very Happy  Thanks for the tip on the PL Premium Rob!

Best.
OG

81Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
While we're on the topic of plugging, I've heard of people filling the center stand tubes with various materials to keep water from collecting in there, rusting it out and causing surprise bike naps when the tube fails.  Anybody here done that? What did you use?

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

82Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 pm

TIV

TIV
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:While we're on the topic of plugging, I've heard of people filling the center stand tubes with various materials to keep water from collecting in there, rusting it out and causing surprise bike naps when the tube fails.  Anybody here done that? What did you use?
Never plugged them, only coated. My boxers all had similiar center stands to the K bikes. I have always coated the inside of the stands with wax oil or branch varnish/tree resins. In the old days I used this branch varnish/tree resins to coat gas tanks (that had acquired a rust film) on the inside.

1936 Harley Davidsson 750 (sold), 1964 BMW R69S (sold), 1973 Suzuki RM400 (sold), 1972 Triumph Bonneville (sold), 1971 BSA Thunderbolt (sold), 1972 BSA Lightning (sold), 1977 Yamaha XS650 (sold), 1971, BMW R75/5 (sold), 1973 BMW R75/6 (sold), 1984 BMW R100RT 1992 Yamaha FJ1200 ABS (sold), 1990 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (sold)
1990 BMW K75RT Ex-Police (owned now)
2004 BMW R1150RT iABS (owned now)

Cheers TIV

83Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
During the process of registering my K for the first time , I was unaware of the weakness of my sidestand , and the following break occurred 
Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 20810

Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 20410

the result of this being permanent nerve damage to my C6-C7 verterbrae. still causes some grief on long trips. but bearable.

Whilst waiting for assistance to repair the stand , I was using only the sidestand , which leans quite substantially off centre.
a bit of a worry when fully loaded.
having looked at other methods of repair here on the forum, I chose the cheap method , using resources on hand in the shed.
a piece of C section with thick rubber inserted was installed to the baseplate . this is rather crude in it's forming but certainly does the job.
I haven't yet come across any suitable plastic cutting boards, or pucks, when I do it will be my next option.
The rubber has a tendency to wear down a lot quicker than hard plastic , but has the benefit of less chance of sliding on wet or slippery surfaces , such as sloping driveways ( especially when you leave the engine running in neutral)
but for now this works.
 just mind the left handers , as clearance is restricted.
Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 20610

many thanks to Sean and Mr Klompy , Ol'Blue now has a working centrestand.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 10_x_110

84Back to top Go down   Permanent side stand puck - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanent side stand puck Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:37 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Grover,

I notice that the rubber blank is missing off the end of the main stand tube.  It seems to be a common occurrence and mine was missing one as well.  So I keep a couple of spares on hand. 

Would the exposure to the elements accelerate the corrosion on the inside of the centre stand, thus leading to a weakening of the weld? 

Just a thought.

Dave.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum