BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty new member of forum Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 pm

ken conner

ken conner
Hi , I am a new member . I have a 89 k/100 rs . I have steering issues that I am going to let a local scooter guru work on. This thing refuses to turn . We think it is steering head bearings - I have parts on the way from BMW dealer. Can anybody tell the proper way to torque the new ones in place ? I don't have a repair manual , but if needed I can buy one. THANKS A BUNCH !!! I love this forum - you people are great !new member of forum 112350

2Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty Re: new member of forum Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
No real need to "torque" them but grease them before assy then do the adjuster up firm and rotate the clamp a few times and repeat the process till any grease except fot the thin film is squeezed out and do up the adjuster till firm and no play. Check after you have put the tpo clamp on and tightened it down because occasionally is slacks off a bit with the top clamp. A bit like wheel bearings are done. If you give too much preload they will notch very quickly. Its very much a matter of feel.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty Re: new member of forum Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
A bit from the manual could also be helpful:

new member of forum Beskri10

new member of forum Skisse10

4Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty Re: new member of forum Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya ken ....

welcome to the forum .

youll have to post up a pic for us one day huh ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty Re: new member of forum Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:36 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Ken.
I've shifted your post to the Frame, fairing and wheels section.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty Re: new member of forum Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:18 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ken, that is something I have seen before too. You should replace the bearings, but in the meantime, try hitting th upper and lower bearings with some WD-40 or similar. It may loosen up the solidified grease enough to at least move it around.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

7Back to top Go down   new member of forum Empty Re: new member of forum Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
club_c wrote:Hi Ken, that is something I have seen before too. You should replace the bearings, but in the meantime, try hitting th upper and lower bearings with some WD-40 or similar. It may loosen up the solidified grease enough to at least move it around.

I can attest of the efficiency of the WD40 for this application. You may even not to have to replace the bearings. On my bike, the grease dried up and became like a varnish. Spraying WD40 softened it and the bike acted as new. I even didn't have to re-adjust the bearings.
That was a cheap temporary fix until I rebuilt the bike.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum