BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty starter motor keeps running Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Ross McCABE

My k100rs I switch the bike off and the starter motor keeps running Have pulled the switch out then connected power and it still runs even without fuses

2Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Ross!

The starter relay contacts have been welded together, due to starting attempts with low battery voltage or bad battery connections.

Try a few taps on the relay, it could free the contacts.
If no succes, it`s possible to open the relay and clean the contacts.

And get that battery charged before more starting attempts.

3Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Ross McCABE

Thanks Inge K

I did not know which replay to tap so I taped them all and it solved my problem and your right about the battery as I had a similar problem about 20 years ago the memory just doesn't work as well as Id like

Thanks again

4Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:48 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
this might help ross

posted from the extensive knowledge base of our administrator ....crazy frog....available in the "portal page " links ..."efi troubleshooting "

starter motor keeps running Relay-tray

welcome to the forum mate !!!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty starter motor keeps running Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Oh no the secret s out. Now we will have to teach you the knowing handshake.
Welcome aboard Ross.
RT

6Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:28 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Charge the battery, and check the voltage when the engine is running about 2,500 rpm so as to be sure the alternator is putting out enough to charge the battery. If that is OK then a new battery may be in the near or mid future.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:18 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ross , how quick are these guys to give the diagnosis ? Glad you got on the forum and thanks for putting me up that night and organisin
g my pannier frame repair , got me home , just !

Cheers G

8Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm

greecek100rt

greecek100rt
The OEM starter relay costs 65$ . Because of crisis in greece that is a lot of money for me so i decide to buy one Made in China from E-Bay .dont ask me for reliability but it cost to me only 9$ inc tax and shipping cost.

starter motor keeps running 1210

9Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
We have not got a crisis in Australia (that is what the government tells us so it must be right) and $65 is expensive here for one of those relays. I have priced a relay that is just as good and it was $16

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:02 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
I'm having a similar problem.

where can I find the starter relay?

11Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:45 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's in the black box under the tank. Lift the rear of the tank and then lift the lid of the black plastic box. The relay is in the right rear corner of the box. BTW disconnect the battery now even if you dont intend to replace it now or next day as the welded contacts will cause the barrery to discharge totally and cause irrepairable damage that even a good recharge wont overcome completely.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

12Back to top Go down   starter motor keeps running Empty Re: starter motor keeps running Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:03 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
I got spare relays including starter from ebay.co.uk. You can get them cheaper than ebay.com (USA).

I buy and keep many parts for my K100RS mostly I get from the web. For new parts I buy from Motobins UK.

Cheers.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum