BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:03 am

Life time member
Life time member
Removing the exhaust for better access for another job has left me with two wrung off Studs. I will have to remove the cylinderhead in order to bring it to an engineering shop to have them drilled out.

I've been reading the manuals and I'm still on a big learning curve with the k engine but as far as I can see the main tasks are:

• Remove lower faings (RT/LT) and radiator cover
  • Remove tank
  • Drain coolant system
  • Remover air box
  • Remove fuel rail
  • Remove engine cover
  • Remove Timing/Cam chain and sprockets
  • Remove cyclinder head bolts and take off head

Am I missing anything obvious or does anyone have any helpful tips?

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

2Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:19 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Removing the head is the last thing I would be doing to get at the busted studs.
Can you get it to the shop and then lay it over on its side on an old mattress to get at them but taking the head off, well like I said the last thing.
If 2 have broken then renew all 8 and use the Aluminium based antisieze like the prematex one on studs and nuts.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:37 am

Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:Removing the head is the last thing I would be doing to get at the busted studs....lay it over on its side on an old mattress to get at them but taking the head off, well like I said the last thing.

I was working on the assumption that having the head sitting on a bench would be the cleanest way to get a good run at the busted studs without risking damage to the aluminium Rick. Whay do you say "It's the last thing"? Is the long way round not the quicker way in this case?

(Appreciate the input Cylinder Head removal 112350 )

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

4Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:43 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You are disturbing the head gasget and doing heaps of work that is not really neccessary.
I have worked at many a bike shop and an old mattress is a required tool and also good for sleeping of a hangover or even used as an emergency doghouse.
It may take a little longer to do it that way but compared to the cost of head off its a lot better.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:36 am

Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:You are disturbing the head gasget and doing heaps of work that is not really neccessary.
I have worked at many a bike shop and an old mattress is a required tool and also good for sleeping of a hangover or even used as an emergency doghouse.
It may take a little longer to do it that way but compared to the cost of head off its a lot better.

Thanks for that - I'm off in search of an old mattress!

K75RTP - 1994

6Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:51 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Just drilled out 2 broken exhaust studs, did similar to what has been described, but used a step up to lay the bike onto, the key here is to mark the centre of the broken studs and pop them using a centre punch, then drill with a smaller drill bit, take time and care to drill as accurately as possible, no rush. gradually increase drill size to 6,5 mm which is the tapping drill size for 8mm thread.
Cobalt drill bits and 3 fluted thread taps worked well for me.
Tank, Saddle and Battery removed from bike.

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

7Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Ungaas, that's encouraging news. As a matter of interest were the studs on the inside or outside? Mine are both on the inside and I'm wondering if acces for a straight drilling line is a problem.

K75RTP - 1994

8Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Ungaas, that's encouraging news. As a matter of interest were the studs on the inside or outside? Mine are both on the inside and I'm wondering if acces for a straight drilling line is a problem.

K75RTP - 1994

9Back to top Go down   Cylinder Head removal Empty Re: Cylinder Head removal Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:26 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Mine were about 6mm external, but yours being internal should be easier, less to drill, pick the drill lines from your other studs, like you I was concerned but this turned out very easy.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse. :silent:

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum