BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Hi,

strange thing happeneing. My bike is trying to start without the key in/kill switch on.
I tried to start it yesterday mornnig, but it struggled and when I took the key out it just kept turning over.

battery now dead, when I connect to jump start it is starts turning over again, without key in.

no idea where to start on this one.

any takers?
thanks!

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The load shed relay (aka starter relay) has 'welded' itself together....low battery voltage. New relay and a charged or replaced battery will fix it.

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
thanks.

found this
http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t3495-starter-motor-keeps-running#34071

Relays are under the fuel tank right?
do it require fuel tank removal to replace relay?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Check post 2,3,4, again in the thread you found.

If you don`t have the same luck as Ross, check this thread.

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks all.
Starter Relay removed. Replacement on its way.
Need to charge/replace battery next.

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
well, I've got this fixed now.
new battery went in on Saturday to finish this job.
thanks all!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the starter relay weld ...is .....just reminding you ..".i want to get out for a ride" .....grin

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
sorry... replaced the relay last week, was just waiting for the battery...

K100LT Notts

K100LT Notts
Silver member
Silver member
I had the same problem a few years ago- Starter relay welded and flat battery. To stop the churn I had to disconnect the battery. However I added to the problem by jump starting the bike from my car.

As I had ABS it blew the ABS control unit (in tail area) as the early ones were not surge protected. This is a potentially very expensive (Approx £1,000 for new one) mistake. DO NOT JUMP START A FLAT K100 with ABS!

My friendly repairman replaced relay and battery. It is not immediately required to replace ABS control unit as brakes will still work (without ABS). To pass the UK MOT just cover over the ABS light with black tape instrument panel as MOT does not require ABS to be working, but it must not show the fault light! Eventually I bought a used control box on ebay for £150 from a bike being broken for spares. It plugged in and has worked fine ever since. The alternative long term solution is just to remove the ABS system.

To avoid these problems in future I have bought an "intelligent" battery charger and leave it connected when the bike is not used for a long time. (Battery appears to drain about 1% per day so 2 months only 40% left). Alternatively charge the battery at least monthly and leave it disconnected between charges.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
£150? Bargain!
Mine's on a trickle/maintenance charger as well. They work a treat!
Welcome to the forum CM.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum