BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Hello folks,
I have been a member for a number of years and have only made a few posts in that time. Still working on the 86 K100 and got the parts I wanted to get it from a police bike to civilian (dual seat etc) model.
After staring at it for over a year I have decided to strip it, clean it, paint it and hopefully get it back together.

What I am after is a friend. Sounds a bit pathetic. I live in Sydney and I am easily distracted. I was thinking 'if I knew someone near by who may have done this before, then maybe they could kick me when I decide my time would be better spent on the pinball machine'.
The background of the bike is;
purchased in 1992 ex police with 35,000km. I think it is now up to about 70,000.
used the bike as a commuter till 1996 ish and then let it sit for 10 years.
Went to start it one day and the fuel pump had rusted away, hoses turned to mush and thick black bits of goo inside the tank. At this point I figured I had to save the old girl so started getting the bits I need.
Move forward to today, I have replaced many parts and had it back to just a frame and engine. It is now back together, but after looking at some of the restos here I have decided to give it the (almost) full treatment. Stripped back to paint the frame and go up from there (that's my idea of stripped btw).
If anyone around Sydney has the urge to lend an ear or email to a project like this I would love to hear from you.
I am not looking for swapping christmas cards or buying your kids birthday presents and giving speeches at their 21st. Just someone to ask how it is going, offer advice when needed (often) and keep me on track.
I am starting to creep myself here.
Anyway, that's it. If you have done some resto work or want to or just want to mock, send me a message.
Cheers

Ross
Sydney

2Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Ross,
may I suggest that you post a coupla pictures of the old girl, perhaps a before and an after, maybe some pics of her stripped down to her undies, and with this lot I reckon a chorus of eager and encouraging responses will alight upon your post.
That's my two bob's worth.
~Darren

3Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I was actually scanning my pc for any sign of her as you posted, but alas I think all the photos are at home.
Pictures to follow Smile

4Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 2:22 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome ross ,

as you no doubt have seen many have started restorations and posted pics in here

usually you will find some pics of relevant bits of tricky tecniques that we have needed to do ....well thats what im attempting to do ...over time ,,,my resto is a work in progress , and will be for quite some time ,,,as i just just cant stop riding for too long at all .

good luck ,

im sure there is a soul down there willing to help out ...but you have us online here .

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
These are two photos that show a bit of what was going on and where I am at.
The bike on the left is mine. I got the bike on the right for $300. Bad condition but just out of rego. Sold that in pieces to get the cash to fix mine. Plus took any parts I needed.
Looking for a Renovation friend K100111
This is what made me start fixing in the first place. Not sure the best way to store a petrol tank, but I can tell you that leaving it with petrol in it is not the right way.
Looking for a Renovation friend K100211
Lesson learnt.

Rossco

6Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rossco
I'm close enough to you to help pick up pieces. I need to do more, but have had to do a lot to get mine mobile.
Send me a PM and see if we can get a fixit day going. I'm certainly no guru but the info on here is excellent.
Cheers RT.

7Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
interesting date on the pic ross ....giggle

hope i get to last till then ....Looking for a Renovation friend 723598

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Mabey you could get yourselves a service weekend happening. Great way to pool Ideas and have abit of fun just tinkering!!! Very Happy

9Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
+1 alby ....a great idea Looking for a Renovation friend 502531

10Back to top Go down   Looking for a Renovation friend Empty Re: Looking for a Renovation friend Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks for the responses.
Last few pictures. Sick of the fairing. It is on a shelf. For good I hope. Salvaged a few bits of the spare bike to fix up and replace my old bits.
Not sure if you can see in the 4th photo I have been cleaning up a spare rear wheel fork with a wire brush to see how it looks. Not sure about that yet.
Looking for a Renovation friend Dsc_0010
Looking for a Renovation friend Dsc_0011
These are the replacement fairing/ rear tail pieces I am in the process of prepairing for painting.
Looking for a Renovation friend Dsc_0012
And the new headlight
Looking for a Renovation friend Dsc_0013
Thats it.
RT, I will send you a message. My in-laws actually live in Bowral and we tend to visit them more often than I would care. Close to Robertson for a coffee and chat and talk bikes for a bit.

Cheers
Ross

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum