BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   temp sensor Empty temp sensor Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 pm

lewy

lewy
Hi.I have just joined the forum and bought a 1988 k 100,trying to get the temp guage working it appears that the sender\sensor has been removed and replaced with a plug anyone have any theories why this may have been done apart from the part not being available at short notice,I have also shorted the wire and the guage goes to the red as it should so everything appears to be right there i hope.Is the sender a genuine part only or will a VDO sensor fit (VDO part number anyone) hope i am posting in the correct area.Thanks in advance

2Back to top Go down   temp sensor Empty Re: temp sensor Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes in the right place lewy ...

welcome to the forum mate

the sensor may have been reading incorrectly if it was not original equipment + not all sensors are the same thread

i have installed a different brand of guage ...but had to do some resistance modifications at the meter end . but have it sorted now ..

you might have to look on the vdo site for the correct model and to find the right sensor to fit ...sorry ive forgotten the thread into the water pump dimensions .

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   temp sensor Empty Re: temp sensor Fri May 04, 2012 10:34 pm

lewy

lewy
Thanks mate,Just had another thought when i shorted the sensor wire out and the gauge went into the red should the fan have come on.

4Back to top Go down   temp sensor Empty Re: temp sensor Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no mate ...there are 2 sensors .....the one at the water pump is just an indicator and not tied to the ignition system at all

its the one in the water stub behind the radiator that is the engine management sensor ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   temp sensor Empty Re: temp sensor Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 pm

lewy

lewy
thanks,learning.learning

6Back to top Go down   temp sensor Empty Re: temp sensor Sat May 05, 2012 8:21 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Most gauges are working on the same principle with the sensors. You could buy one from the usual suspects. The ones sold for cooling water (the ones we can buy for the bike - size/thread) normally will indicate correct with the original bmw gauge. I use a VDO gauge (40-120) with the Moto-Bins temp sensor and it indicates spot-on. IIRC its 50 Ohm for midlevel indication. Put a 50 Ohm resistor between ground and the indicator connection and see what it does?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland temp sensor Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum