BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Every K Over is a Thriller! Empty Every K Over is a Thriller! Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
There's a public service message used in Australia, often on the sign placed out of view until it's too late for the passing motorists, in front of speed camera vehicles parked by the roadside. It reads, 'Every K is Over is a Killer'.

Today, whilst hanging out with friends, the telephone rang. It was the 21 year old son of a friend who told his mother sheepishly, "You're not going to like this!" Of course, she immediately thought he'd slid down the road on his new Yamaha. Instead he regaled her with a story of finding a straight, remote stretch of road in the Northern Territory, where he managed to redline his near-stock R1 in top gear, bouncing of the rev limiter, at 313 km/h!

I translated that into the old money and wasn't surprised to see that it was 194.5 mph! This kid got his start on a Sachs MadAss scooter with a full romping stomping 125cc and I reckon eleven horsepower, then jumped onto a secondhand KTM 535cc for a month or two, then after well less than two years of on and off riding, with zero professional training, was able to lay his money down on the salesman's desk for a brand new 2011 Yamaha R1. Of course, the eager saleman took the wad of money with what I imagine was barely a second thought of the consequences for a potential devastating result.

I'm not shocked, not even surprised, and truth be told, I've done something similar with a K1200S in New Mexico back in '05. One difference is that I'd been riding for 29 years at the time - but should have known better - and chose a closed road and pre-ran it for five miles beforehand checking for obstacles. A blowing tumbleweed, a slinking coyote, a hesitant rabbit or an errant armadillo would have sent me to the moon. I can't imagine what the brief and distant glimpse of a rapidly approaching Red Man 'roo, a wild brumby or a camel would have done to soil the boy's quite inexperienced shorts at that sort of speed. I am recognising my double standard, but.

Shocked

I'm just sayin'!

Last edited by Guest in the House on Mon May 07, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Every K Over is a Thriller! Empty Re: Every K Over is a Thriller! Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
omg ....stunning ...erm ...quite concerning that someone would take it to the max on a public road ...

(but nice job)

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Every K Over is a Thriller! Empty Re: Every K Over is a Thriller! Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, it's hard to give them a rev and say "that's a stupid thing to do"...when you have done similar yourself (speaking of my own experiences here)!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Every K Over is a Thriller! Empty Re: Every K Over is a Thriller! Mon May 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Yes, I quietly smile when I see a youngster popping a whacking great big wheelie in the main street, but cringe at the thought that he represents we moto riders at the same time. Did I do this sort of thing as a youth? Bloody well right I did.

Hey, did anyone else notice that the BMW S1000RR tied the top speed record in WSBK at Monza this weekend? 334 km/h was recorded on the main straight. Also, in opening qualifying the S1000RR's of Michel Fabrizio, Marco Melandri, and Leon Haslam were 1st, 2nd & 3rd. They would have had a fourth place as well until Aprilia's Eugene Laverty grabbed that spot, so a fifth by Ayrton Badovini was also in the day's take. You go, boys!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum