BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I have a better output shaft that I'd like to put into the '85 K100RS, just a 6 rivet swap, but I feel the new one is better. Anyhow, I'd like to do this with the engine in the frame if possible. What steps should I take? I'll have to pull the FD and trans obviously, but can I then work under the engine to remove the output shaft, or am I doomed to pull the motor?

Last edited by club_c on Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
bell housing might be the restriction but maybe possible

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
First buy enough beer, then check this document.

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Inge, nice find on the output shaft document .

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like a slab job (24 stubbies in a slab ) giggle

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
24 of these ones would be the correct amount:

How to swap out output shaft, engine in? [SOLVED] Hpim0910

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
now thats output!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
How to swap out output shaft, engine in? [SOLVED] 44271 .....thanks inge ....read my mind ...giggle

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Well I have a good 1/3 of the bike disassembled and have had a thought... how will I support the engine in the frame if I remove the gearbox and intermediate housing? Normally I would support from underneath, but in this case I need to remove the sump to access the output shaft. Any clever ideas before I abandon plan A and remove the engine?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
A piece of plywood, using some of the intermediate flange mounting points.
Some length of ~2"x2" (or whatever) across the frametubes.

How to swap out output shaft, engine in? [SOLVED] Suppor10

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Lay the bike on its side?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland How to swap out output shaft, engine in? [SOLVED] Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yes, you'll need to make a support bracket to pick up some of the holes at the rear of the engine, above the split line. You may also consider removing and examining/cleaning the starter sprag clutch while you are in this far. It may well be OK, but it would pay to check it out. Make sure you replace the O ring at the crankshaft nut, the nut is also supposed to be replaced, and there is a special tensioning procedure (in the manual).

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Dennis wrote:Make sure you replace the O ring at the crankshaft nut, the nut is also supposed to be replaced, and there is a special tensioning procedure (in the manual).

I may add that also the compression ring between the O-ring and nut is supposed to be replaced.

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
If you remove the air filter base there be a couple of bolt holes you can run a strap up to the frame rail from. The hardware store should have a metal strap for you

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Well that was a much more time consuming job than I first thought. Thursday evening, all day Friday and finished up Saturday morning. And a major difference in cold start up, now it is quiet! I didn't realize how noisy it was until the output shaft was swapped out. As was mentioned elsewehere, it is a very deep part to change out, but I was able to do it without removing the motor. Thanks to Inge for that service bulletin. The engine support ideas were all excellent, I went with a hybrid approach as shown below. My saddest moment was removing the oil pump that had given me so much leakage grief. I haven't taken it out on a good ride yet, but up and down the street it seems to be sealed. Thanks to all who contributed.

How to swap out output shaft, engine in? [SOLVED] Engine10

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
onya clubbie !!!

wanna come and help me do mine ? giggles

im guessing ill be off the road for weeks

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Noted your picture; do you have one from the left side of the bike? Or do you know how far the outlet pipes stick into the muffler? Strange question maybe, but I can't get the muffler off and wonder if my repair of a cover plate attachment with a well nut is the problem............ Evil or Very Mad

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland How to swap out output shaft, engine in? [SOLVED] Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
the pipes go in to the muffler about 2 inches

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Club_c,
Did you notice how there is much less play in the drive train?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good point yankee .....clubbie is there any difference in the free play of the back wheel whilst in gear ?

(it was pretty common to see about 50 mm from a survey )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum