BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Sender Unit Empty Fuel Sender Unit Wed May 09, 2012 10:19 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Folks, it looks like my fuel sender unit in my '89 K100 RT is cactus. Does anyone know of a replacement which does not rely on the float? I still only have the bumb dumb light in the instruments and am happy with this. I just want something that is going to light the light at a given level. I have almost run out of fuel twice now. Thought I better mention I get no lights at all. Lamps themselves appear to be working OK.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by CanberraDave on Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Sender Unit Empty Re: Fuel Sender Unit Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dave the "empty" indicator can be adjusted ....there have been a few posts about this .....and a wake up call for me .

just as an asside ...when i take off and the indicator is on, i often suffer from fuel starvation on a "quickish launch "...resulting in you guessed it ...no fuel ...then everything ..then no fuel ......um "bunny hops" quite commical ..

but the best way to calibrate the low level sensor is to ...find the level that it doesnt work well ...add 4 litres ...and adjust the low level triger / sensor/lamp for this value ...maybe ?

there were a couple of pics of the mechanism around in here ..ill have a look ....back later

check out this thread dave ..

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t3349-testing-in-tank-fuel-sender-unit

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Sender Unit Empty Re: Fuel Sender Unit Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
maybe a meter could help mate ....makes judging distances and fuel load real easy

i saw a few advertised in here a little while ago .....and folks are breaking "k" s for parts

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Fuel Sender Unit Empty Re: Fuel Sender Unit Tue May 22, 2012 8:45 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Well I have finally got round to pulling out the fuel sender unit (having too much fun riding). The thing came apart in my hand. It was full of gunk behind the plate and all the little wires are broken/worn out. Crying or Very sad

Anyone got a working fuel sender unit they are prepared to part with? Either that or is anyone doing a Motobins order?

Cheers

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

5Back to top Go down   Fuel Sender Unit Empty Re: Fuel Sender Unit Tue May 22, 2012 8:59 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
I invented most accurate way, much better than any K solution: quick look in opened tank, while on the road. It works 100 percent.

6Back to top Go down   Fuel Sender Unit Empty Re: Fuel Sender Unit Tue May 22, 2012 10:12 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
For a while I had a digital fuel gauge on my K. You open the cap, stick your digit in (you do have a choice of 10...or more if you live in Tasmania), pull digit out and see how much fuel is there. Do NOT lick digit afterwards....or smoke!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum