BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty oil and cooling fluid cocktail Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:46 am

Chimay bleu

Chimay bleu
Good morning to all,

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, iI was unable to find a similar problem discussed on the forum.

My K100 (0501 build 04/1984) has been stored more than 4 years in a warmed garage and has not run a lot during these 4 years, andi sin very good condition.
I bought it one month ago, made the general maintenance and renew the fluids, I ride it for about 300 Km since then.

By checking the oil level yesterday morning I noticed some white stuff in the oil by looking through the eye sight set and some oil evidences in the expansion tank, as no white smoke are going through the exhaust pipe I would suspect a defective water-oil pump.

Would you do the same diagnosis?

Thanks & Brgds
Eric

2Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 pm

netguz

Hello all, I´ve been wondering how to introduce myself, and now I´ve found my chance!

Chimay Bleu, hopefully it´s just emulsion, have you used it only on short journeys? It´s a huge motor and takes quite a time to get up to the temperature needed to burn off the naturally occurring water. Was there any emulsion in the oil when you changed it? If you´re lucky you may just be able use some flushing oil to thoroughly clean the engine and then make sure you do some decent runs to burn off any water created.

But the oil in the expansion tank is a worry.

My 85 RS has just got the incontinence from the drain beneath the water pump. It´s well documented here http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml and so long as the shaft isn´t damaged not too expensive either.

The hardest bit seems to be getting the fairing off to refill the radiator - does anyone know any shortcuts?

Thanks for any help.

3Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Chimay bleu

Chimay bleu
Thanks and welcome Netguz,

When I changed the oil there was no emulsion in the oil but some oil in the cooling fluid also some evidences of "mayonnaise" on the oil tank cap.
I thought this would have been solved with new oil/cooling fluids.
With my limited knowledge on mecanics it seems to be a bit more than emulsion... I'll check again today.
Can not help you Re. the fairing removal mine is a basic K100.

Rgds

4Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:31 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
When the bike is stored in a cool and damp area, the condensation inside the crankcase, will quite often leave a creamy deposit on the site glass. It should disappear after warming up the engine for 10 minutes.

If not, I would check the seal between the oil pump and water pump.

Replacing the seal is not an easy task. The seal is very fragile and should be re-installed with a small press. You cannot use a hammer!
What a lot of people do is to remove the pump, open it and clean everything then bring it to a BMW mechanic to have it fitted with a new seal.

5Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 am

Chimay bleu

Chimay bleu
Merci Bert!

Indeed, when I checked the oil level yesterday the white cream had desappear.

I'm a bit more worried about the oil in the cooling fluid, I cleaned up the expansion tank and will check what happens.

I will follow your suggestion and have the seals replaced at the 40KKm maintenance inspection.
I was just wondering about having the water-oil replaced automatically while renewing the seals ? From what I read, it seems that this part is frequently defective on early K100 bikes, would this be wise or useless?

Just for the story, I was stopped by the police on Wednesday because of a bicycle race on the road, a group of journalist with motorbikes were following the racers, I was so surprised to see that mainly all bikes were K100's (mainly LT's)...

Thanks,
To all, have a nice week end and be safe on the road.
Eric

6Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Quick tip about the water/oil pump drain:

Once in a while, use a Q-tip to clean the drain hole of the pump.
It has the tendency to be plug by dirt. A small leak of water or oil from this area is a good sign for the pump seals to be replaced.
The rubber on the mechanical seal disintegrate with the coolant. see the following picture:

oil and cooling fluid cocktail Oil_pu10

7Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:59 am

Chimay bleu

Chimay bleu
Thanks
Eric

8Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 pm

netguz

Thanks Mr Crazy Frog for the photo. Now I guess I know what to expect.

Good luck Chimay bleu.

9Back to top Go down   oil and cooling fluid cocktail Empty Re: oil and cooling fluid cocktail Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 pm

netguz

£240 - damn!

Stipped my pump down today - it was difficult to spin the impeller by hand. I hoped it was because the seal was dragging - oh boy, am I the optimist!

Even with the seal out it was diificult to turn.

Quick call to CW and they said can I bring it in - yep.

They reckon the shaft is bent - makes sense to me; so the bearing surface may be knackered as well, lucky I had the rent on me!

£240 - oh, I´ve already said that.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum