BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 7:33 am

Sorry if I'm boring everyone, but I've been reading some of the threads on this topic and I am now a bit confused. My Spanish is rubbish so although that thread looked interesting, I had no idea in the end except for the obvious pictures. Some people say the leds are the best thing since bottled beer, others say the original candescent globes are the mozzie's cozzies?

I have 3 instrument clusters. I recently swapped one over as the odometer and tripmeter on the one that came with the bike carked it. I did a straight swap, only to discover the same problem. Then riding about Brissie the other night, I found the backlights to be very dull. Sitting here this evening, I decided to pull apart the original cluster....something which took more than an hour, as the PO had sealed it with Silastic...( Ok...condensation was never a problem). It will take another hour or so to clean off all the flakey bits...but now that it IS apart...I want to do something about the background lighting. The other warning lights are fine....just the dull green backlighting.

So what do I do? Can you just grab the Leds from Dick Smith? Should I just put new 'white' bulbs in?

Yours unilluminatedly.
Sean.

2Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Re: Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 8:30 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I have seen the k-bike parts web site advertising them.
I was just wondering what rating they are? (not an electronics type).
I just swapped out all the old globes in my pinball machine for LEDs. What a difference.
Anyway, they are 6.3v AC and I got them from a local pinball guy for $1 each.
Here is a link to the website that makes the globes.
I have both blade and bayonet and they are about 21mm long.
Maybe someone can check to see if they are suitable.

Jaycar generally stocks LEDs but they may cost a few dollars each.
rossco

Last edited by rossco on Mon May 21, 2012 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info added)

3Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Re: Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 11:07 am

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
Rossco,

I changed all mine over a few years ago now and there are good LED's and not so good LED's. I got mine from the U.S. but I can't remember who from.
There is a guy who has been lingering around the K11OG Forum for years and has put together kits for replacing the bulbs with LED's. Personally I find him to be a bit of a tosser, however he does have very good LED Kits and lots of other parts for K100's and K1100's.

Follow this link http://www.kbikeparts.com/ledupgrade.htm

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

4Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Re: Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks Rossco, just having a look at that website now.
GB777, I've been looking at that website for some time off and on...umming and ahhing....just seems a bit pricey to have 4 bulbs sent all the way across the pond. Still...at least he does include instructions. for those of us who are electrickery challenged.
Sean.

5Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Re: Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the kit is a bit more than 4 leds ....turn, high beam and all the indicators as well ....but for me the charge lamp will stay an incandescent globe ....just seems that they dont blow anyhow .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Re: Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
GB777 wrote:Rossco,

I changed all mine over a few years ago now and there are good LED's and not so good LED's. I got mine from the U.S. but I can't remember who from.
There is a guy who has been lingering around the K11OG Forum for years and has put together kits for replacing the bulbs with LED's. Personally I find him to be a bit of a tosser, however he does have very good LED Kits and lots of other parts for K100's and K1100's.

Follow this link http://www.kbikeparts.com/ledupgrade.htm

Drake put that kit together a fair while ago and there are better ones mentioned in a thread on here but I can never find those things they seem to hide when I go looking.
Maybe someone else can find it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Instrument LEDs agailean off n Empty Re: Instrument LEDs agailean off n Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
og did some messing around in his resto thread rick ...with contributions along the way

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum