BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   91 K100RS ignition switch question Empty 91 K100RS ignition switch question Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 am

jumper2001

jumper2001
The general consensus seem to be that the electrical problems I am experiencing are being caused by my ignition switch. The problem is that neither the Clymer guide I have, the update or anything I can find on the web can tell me how to get the ignition switch off the bottom of the key switch without first removing the key switch from the top fork tree, which requires a special BMW tool. Apparently the 91 KRS was different from earlier models, incorporating the fork lock and ignition switch. I can get the tool from Max BMW, but if I can get it off the bottom of the key switch without it, so much the better.

2Back to top Go down   91 K100RS ignition switch question Empty Re: 91 K100RS ignition switch question Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There is no way of doing it as far as I can tell.
I had to renew one a while back and it had to be removed from the tripple clamp first because there is a very small grub screw that holds the switch to the lock and that is not accessible while the clamp is still on the bike.
It is a very good deterent to thieves as it takes ages to do and is a real PITA
I would do some very rigorous testing before going ahead and would want it to show that it is indeed the switch.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   91 K100RS ignition switch question Empty Re: 91 K100RS ignition switch question Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member

4Back to top Go down   91 K100RS ignition switch question Empty Re: 91 K100RS ignition switch question Tue May 29, 2012 10:52 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Here is a picture of the tiny grub screw Rick mentions
(covered/secured with a blob of red paint):

91 K100RS ignition switch question Set_sk10

Here you find some info about cleaning the internals.

Inge K.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Jumper

I replaced the ignition loom on my '91 16 valve RS with a new one

As described above it is is quite easy. Just undo the grub screw under the red paint. You need to chip the paint off first then I used a jewellers screwdriver held in a pair of pliers to undo the screw. Don't lose the grub screw it (I did)!

Thread is here

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t3055-ignition-barrel-taped-up-ideas-please

Best
Dave

jandalboy

jandalboy
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the great tips.I failed with the pliers but took the round bit off the top of the jewelers screw driver,put a nut over the handle and tapped a long thin screw driver into the nut till it wedged tight and it worked a treat.Had a white towel on the ground and sure enough the wee grub screw fell out but was easy to find.After cleaning and reinstalling the switch i dabbed vaseline on the srew driver to hold the wee grub screw and fluked it first time.I'd still be scratching my head if it was'nt for you guys.Thanks team.

Life time member
Life time member
jandalboy wrote:....I'd still be scratching my head if it was'nt for you guys.Thanks team.

That just about describes my permanent state Very Happy

Good work Jandalboy, now get that white towell back indoors before SWMBO notices!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

jandalboy

jandalboy
Silver member
Silver member
Haha.Best advice so far.Done.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum