BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


TSBT

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Was 'removing my clutch plates, tried prying them out however I was
prying from the outside a bit before I noticed that I needed to pry from
the center out. Do you guys think that I damaged the plate at all? I
read that these plates are real sensitive also don't want any additional
vibration because of this screw up - I'm about to attempt the proper way from the inside maybe this time with a huge flat-head screwdriver, it sure is sticky. Keep you posted.

K100RS Clutch Plate Removal Noobie Questions Clutch10

Also while removing the transmission, was kneeling with my elbows
resting on my legs; it didn't come out perfectly straight, should I
worry that I may have bent the Clutch Push Rod? or the housing it came
out of?

Love to hear your thoughts
Chris


__________________________________________________
Chris
    

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
Whack the bugger with a soft hammer in a circular fashion and she'll pop right out with ease, albeit, in several pieces. The clutch pushrod is well protected like a turtle's head. You did release the tension on it from the back end of the gearbox first....?


__________________________________________________

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Arthur Conan Doyle
1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT & 2013 R1200RT-Polizei  - all of the Beemers in my life I can recall, owned still or sold on.
    

TSBT

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Guest in the House wrote:Whack the bugger with a soft hammer in a circular fashion and she'll pop right out with ease, albeit, in several pieces. The clutch pushrod is well protected like a turtle's head. You did release the tension on it from the back end of the gearbox first....?

Thanks GITH!

Sorry not sure what you mean by releasing tension. How do I do that?

Chris


__________________________________________________
Chris
    

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
You've first released the clutch cable, slid out the clutch release arm pin and pulled off the rubber boot and spring contained within...


__________________________________________________

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Arthur Conan Doyle
1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT & 2013 R1200RT-Polizei  - all of the Beemers in my life I can recall, owned still or sold on.
    

TSBT

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Guest in the House wrote:You've first released the clutch cable, slid out the clutch release arm pin and pulled off the rubber boot and spring contained within...

Yes released the clutch cable originally, slid it out the hole of the Transmission so I don't rip it when I pulled the transmission off, and removed the spring contained (ripped the boot, nube mistake) but yes all was done beforehand. Smile


__________________________________________________
Chris
    

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@TSBT wrote:Was 'removing my clutch plates, tried prying them out however I was
prying from the outside a bit before I noticed that I needed to pry from
the center out. Do you guys think that I damaged the plate at all? I
read that these plates are real sensitive also don't want any additional
vibration because of this screw up - I'm about to attempt the proper way from the inside maybe this time with a huge flat-head screwdriver, it sure is sticky. Keep you posted.

K100RS Clutch Plate Removal Noobie Questions Clutch10

Also while removing the transmission, was kneeling with my elbows
resting on my legs; it didn't come out perfectly straight, should I
worry that I may have bent the Clutch Push Rod? or the housing it came
out of?

Love to hear your thoughts
Chris

Before disasembley the cluth, sign position of heavy parts (if you change only plate). It is factory balanced, keep it the same way.

    

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
While it is written and recommended that the clutch pieces be replaced in exact order I have not done so with no increased out-of-balance vibes present. Besides, what would one do if purchasing all new random parts....who you gunna call then? It just doesn't make sense to me that this is what's expected.


__________________________________________________

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Arthur Conan Doyle
1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT & 2013 R1200RT-Polizei  - all of the Beemers in my life I can recall, owned still or sold on.
    

TSBT

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Guest in the House wrote:While it is written and recommended that the clutch pieces be replaced in exact order I have not done so with no increased out-of-balance vibes present. Besides, what would one do if purchasing all new random parts....who you gunna call then? It just doesn't make sense to me that this is what's expected.

Have heard this also from several sources, however you raise a great point. Looking for a marker right now that'll mark up a piece of steel. Wish I had one of those silver ones that work so well 👅, I'll try black... Thanks again.

C


__________________________________________________
Chris
    

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@TSBT wrote:
Guest in the House wrote:While it is written and recommended that the clutch pieces be replaced in exact order I have not done so with no increased out-of-balance vibes present. Besides, what would one do if purchasing all new random parts....who you gunna call then? It just doesn't make sense to me that this is what's expected.

Have heard this also from several sources, however you raise a great point. Looking for a marker right now that'll mark up a piece of steel. Wish I had one of those silver ones that work so well 👅, I'll try black... Thanks again.

C

It is reccomended to put news screws and new big nut. I ordered it from motorworks with transmission seal and big O ring which goes behind big nut. Tight on exact preload (there is special procedure for big nut - first time 140 nm, second time 95 nm).

Slowly

    

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
I just reused the 7mm screws after a through cleaning and used an ample dob of blue Loctite on each, and also reused the flange nut (30mm socket required). It is recommended the screws and star washers be replaced, but.

I recommend replacing the flange nut O-ring as well since it'll come out with great difficulty (use a pick) and will be quite brittle.


__________________________________________________

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Arthur Conan Doyle
1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT & 2013 R1200RT-Polizei  - all of the Beemers in my life I can recall, owned still or sold on.
    

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
@TSBT wrote:Looking for a marker right now that'll mark up a piece of steel. Wish I had one of those silver ones that work so well 👅, I'll try black... Thanks again.

C
If you're married, raid your wife's nail polish collection. If you're not married, go to the local department store and buy a couple of bottles. Select a white and Ferrari red. Then paint alignment dots onto the clutch parts using various combinations of red and white. Make sure to catch the very thin spring plate between the larger, thicker clutch plates, as I found out by experience it was easy to miss marking this spring plate.


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
I have done many clutches and others I know have done some but only one was I able to be really sure it was in according to BMWs manual and it went back the same way. All the others I have done did not show any signs of extra vibration nor the ones that others have done.
Looking at the plates I would say they are ballanced as a pack so if possible keep it that way. When you buy new bits there is no compulsion to make you get all in a pack.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

TSBT

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Ended up raiding my own art supplies, Orange oil pastel did the trick. Surprised ordered a used Clutch Friction Plate from a buddy of mine, original only had 4.2mm.

I also discovered oil in the engine output shaft hole after I took the clutch and old O-ring off, I assume this is normal? hope there isn't an additional seal I have to replace inside the engine block or alternatively transmission input. :pale:

K100RS Clutch Plate Removal Noobie Questions Photo_13


__________________________________________________
Chris
    

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@TSBT wrote:Ended up raiding my own art supplies, Orange oil pastel did the trick. Surprised ordered a used Clutch Friction Plate from a buddy of mine, original only had 4.2mm.

I also discovered oil in the engine output shaft hole after I took the clutch and old O-ring off, I assume this is normal? hope there isn't an additional seal I have to replace inside the engine block or alternatively transmission input. :pale:

K100RS Clutch Plate Removal Noobie Questions Photo_13

Yes, there is a main seal. Better to change when you already there. Change the seal on side of transmission too

    

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Noobie Question. How do i stop the rotating flywheel when trying to undo the bolts on the clutch ? Question

captaink


__________________________________________________
1989 k 100rs
    

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
There is a tool for (steel strip with slotted holes), however putting a hammer handle through one of the holes in the flywheel should help.


__________________________________________________
Greetings from Florida! Having a 'new' K  :cyclops:    Surprised-o: 

Rene


BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) K100RS Clutch Plate Removal Noobie Questions Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)
    

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Cheers Renez,

going to have another go. It always seems to look and sound easy..... perhaps it is and i'm just kak handed Shocked

captaink


__________________________________________________
1989 k 100rs
    

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Good luck!


__________________________________________________
Greetings from Florida! Having a 'new' K  :cyclops:    Surprised-o: 

Rene


BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) K100RS Clutch Plate Removal Noobie Questions Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)
    

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
Make sure the socket head in the bolt is clean so the full depth of the socket is used otherwise they turn the hex out very easily.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum