BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Paralever bearing replacement Empty Paralever bearing replacement Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:46 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Does anyone have any experience of this modification?

http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/bushings.html

The basic premise seems sound, i.e. a roller bearing is designed for rotation not oscillation, but is the OE arrangement really that much of a problem? I bought my paralever 100RS 16v just a week ago, so I don't have any personal experience yet.

2Back to top Go down   Paralever bearing replacement Empty Re: Paralever bearing replacement Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
When Paralevers were commonly in use as a current item in K Bikes, Oilheads and etc, I used to stock about twenty of those tiny sealed bearings at the shop...

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

3Back to top Go down   Paralever bearing replacement Empty Re: Paralever bearing replacement Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There has been a lot of talk on other forums about the pros and cons of them.
Everything put there doesn't last well and rubberchickens gear seems to wear as much as others. The big problem is that a larger diameter bearing is needed but the room isn't there.
Those bearings are 32mm OD, if a 46mm bearing was used double the strength is obtained.
BMW just didn't get it right this time.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Paralever bearing replacement Empty Re: Paralever bearing replacement Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
So should I conclude that the only reliable course of action is a regular strip and lube? It does rather negate the perceived maintenance advantages of shaft drive, but I supose that it is a price worth paying for my reinvigorated BMW habit. Thanks for the tips.

5Back to top Go down   Paralever bearing replacement Empty Re: Paralever bearing replacement Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The bearings are sealed on both their sides so "maintenance is not required". Just check them every so often for wear which will be a noticeable side to side play when grasping the back wheel and swingarm and hoisting it to and fro, while the bike's on the centre stand. A small amount of play at the bearings will translate to something you can feel at hand there. I have seen where the large Allen bolt flange has almost siezed to the swingarm and requires replacement as well. They are under a lot of torque.

I think this bearing taking a whole heap of load is an issue but when you add up how many hundreds of thousands of Paralever-equippped bikes there are running round successfully for all these years - since the Airhead R100GS/PD! - it is not too big a deal. Change the final drive oil using a quality hypoid GL5 gear oil, then go for a long, enjoyable ride. There'll be never a chain & sprockets to adjust or clean or change ever again.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum