BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Starter help Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:55 pm

mack8882

mack8882
I am a new owner of a 1991 K100RS. I am having no response from the starter the last few days. I contacted the seller and he provided me with a receipt less than a year old for the battery. The symptoms I am dealing with and seeking advice for are:

- When the starter is pushed in, the engine doesn't even try to start. You can only hear a clicking noise.
- The left turn signal will not remain flashing when pushed in once. It only comes on when you hold it in.
- The right turn signal does the same except it signals for the left side as well
- The headlights do not come on at all when the key is turned to "on"
- The battery indicator (red light) is on when the key is turned to "on" but again the battery is less than a year old and I haven't accidentally left the keys in the "on" position for any extended amount of time

Any suggestions on the root of the issue would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Craig M.
-

2Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Re: Starter help Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:56 pm

mack8882

mack8882
Oh and I forgot to mention that the horn isn't working either...

Thanks

3Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Re: Starter help Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Mack!

Your problems is caused by worn starter brushes and/or dirty commutator.
You need to remove and dismantle the starter, clean the internals and change the brushes.

All other problems with horn, headlight, flashers also confirms this, as the coil to the load shedding relay (which delivers power to the earlier mentioned) is grounded through the starter brushes.

This link may help you a bit on the way.

Inge K.

4Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Re: Starter help Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Welcome to the forum, Mack, and when you get a mo' free of motorbike troubles, hop on over to the member's introduction page and tell us about your motorbike and a bit about yourself too. I reckon you will find a whole heap of like-minded people here who are willing to assist you, no worries.

The Google forum search on the Portal page is a good and useful tool. Almost any answer you have a question for concerning K bikes (and sometimes questions on domestic life, small, furry animals or the choice of ale at your local) is available there as many before you have asked and solved the same problem. Here are but a few examples:

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t3783-starting-problems

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1924-k100lt-indicators-playing-up

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2342-starter-motor-cleaning-tutorial

Have a squiz at these to see if you can glean any useful info from those who have trodden those steps before.

5Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Re: Starter help Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:59 pm

mack8882

mack8882
Thanks Inge,

I was able to start it last night and took it down my street and I noticed the headlight would come on and off depending on how much juice I gave the throttle. Does this also confirm the starter needing a cleaning?

Do I have to replace a particular part of the starter motor in order to replace the brushes? I believe you can't just replace individual brushes, is that correct?

Any recommendations on where to buy?

6Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Re: Starter help Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
mack8882 wrote: I was able to start it last night and took it down my street and I noticed the headlight would come on and off depending on how much juice I gave the throttle. Does this also confirm the starter needing a cleaning?
My guess is that was caused by the variation in vibration frequency related to the ability to the brushes making contact.

mack8882 wrote:Do I have to replace a particular part of the starter motor in order to replace the brushes? I believe you can't just replace individual brushes, is that correct?
The genuine brushes is supplied together with brush holders........if cheapo, you could find the closest match..modify them as needed..and solder them to the old holders...(done it myself a lot of times.........generally speaking........about coal brushes).

mack8882 wrote:Any recommendations on where to buy?
Motobins got a lot of satisfied customers in here, my self included..........but I guess you would find cheaper alternatives at your side of the pond...if it`s only down to the brushes.

7Back to top Go down   Starter help Empty Re: Starter help Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:50 pm

mack8882

mack8882
Thanks again Inge. I went ahead and purchased the brush set from Motobins. Hopefully this cures my ailing K100. It's funny because 2 days ago it started right up three times in a row and I didn't have any issues. I will update you once I get a chance to replace the part. Enjoy your weekend!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum