BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Steering damper on K100RS 16v Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:58 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I really don't like this; it's like walking through treacle at low speed, so I'm inclined to unbolt it and bin it. Should I expect any adverse high-speed effect?

2Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:31 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Are you sure it's the damper and not just the normal klutziness of the K100 RS at less than 10 mph??

I perceive my damper as non-restrictive and not interfering at slow speed. If it does anything at higher speeds is not easy to determine.

3Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:34 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Absolutely agree with Agerbundsen I have no issues with the damper and don't find it a problem at all.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:19 am

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I guess it could be a case of "they all do that, sir", but I am surprised by how much heavier and unstable it feels than my RT, which for its size is a total pussy for the through the cones bit on CBT. I suppose the RS's larger tyre and different riding position are also factors; trial by experiment I think. Thank you both for your comments.

5Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:31 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have found that my K1100LT is a lot easier at low speed manuvering than a K1100RS I reckon it is just the narrower bars and seating position of leaning forward a bit more.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:03 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
That is a very good point the wider bars would increase the leverage and the seating position too
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
K-BIKE wrote:That is a very good point the wider bars would increase the leverage and the seating position too
Regards,
K-BIKE

....and completely block the view through the mirrors too.......Embarassed

8Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:23 am

electric_monk

electric_monk
Silver member
Silver member
What tyre pressures are you running?

9Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:06 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mr G

I've ridden my 4 valve K100RS with and without the damper and notice no difference in steering. Maybe trial and error as you say. Could be the damper is defective, it's easy enough to take off and put back back on. Alternatively could be something else like the guys suggest?

In the end I trusted the bike was given it by BMW for a (safety) reason so I left it on. This debate is subject of another post

Cheers
Dave

10Back to top Go down   Steering damper on K100RS 16v Empty Re: Steering damper on K100RS 16v Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:01 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Tyre pressures are my personal default setting for low profile radials of 36 psi front, 42 rear, which is a little higher than the handbook figures. The first time I rode the bike it had stood for some time and the front tyre was down to 1.7 bar (about 25 psi) and it felt really terrible, so I guess it is particularly sensitive to front tyre pressure. I have to a great extent become familiar with the very noticeable "self-steer" tendency on low speed turns, which is not unlike my old airhead R100RS and before that a R75/6, so it may really just be a case of refamiliarisation and learning to live with it. I think I will still try it with the damper off, though, just to see if there are any adverse effects at high speed. Thanks for all the advice.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum