BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Discovered a leak at the top of my Timing Cover so I'm taking it off to check the front Seal, chain, re-seal with gasket gunk and I can't figure out how to unhook the Oil Pressure Switch Cable.

K100RS Oil Pressure Switch Cable unhook? Maybe I'm daft. [SOLVED]  Photo_14

I could unplug the connectors and shove thru a tiny hole under the gas tank but there's barely room and I don't want the connector heads to bust off. Or maybe cut the wire and re splice.

Anyone done this procedure before? I'm sure it's something simple, odd, there wasn't anything in the K100 Repair Manual.

Also need to replace the seal once I'm in there and I hear they are an absolute chore to without the BMW seal tool.

Love to hear your thoughts Rolling Eyes

Last edited by TSBT on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Not to worry Smile

The new seal is not too difficult to fit if you make a little guide from a tylenol (just cut the bottom off).

The wires are easiest to be disconnected (i found) at the sensors and then have the rubber boot removed before you pull them out of the recess behind the pump. Tying a piece of wire/string to them makes it easier to pull them back later.

Removing the pump cover would make it easier.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K100RS Oil Pressure Switch Cable unhook? Maybe I'm daft. [SOLVED]  Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:Not to worry Smile

The new seal is not too difficult to fit if you make a little guide from a tylenol (just cut the bottom off).

The wires are easiest to be disconnected (i found) at the sensors and then have the rubber boot removed before you pull them out of the recess behind the pump. Tying a piece of wire/string to them makes it easier to pull them back later.

Removing the pump cover would make it easier.

Thanks ReneZ, I thought maybe taking the pump cover off would help. Appreciate the insights, I was tugging on the cables for a second, then thought 'this could be bad' :pale: always nice to pause, think, and ask questions. Very Happy also might try the tylenol bottle. Thanks to Crazy Frog for posting this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IgELtnml1k&feature=player_embedded

This guy's documentation is incredible you may have seen this. He describes the removal/replacement of this Seal. Sounded real tricky without this special BMW tool which is why I'm hesitant. But I spose the worst that could happen is I get another leak and need to pop the plate off again Rolling Eyes

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I just used a bit of wood to get the seal in, it's not too difficult a fit. Good luck with yours, let us know how you go (take pictures!).

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K100RS Oil Pressure Switch Cable unhook? Maybe I'm daft. [SOLVED]  Rain

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:Not to worry Smile

Are we talking a large Tylenol bottle here? Also, what type of wood did you use to help it?

Chris

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:

Just discovered a bunch of posts on this particular bottle trick, that a bricker was kind enough to send you at that. Have it all documented in an email to myself so I don't loose track of the process Very Happy

Also, what did you seal your Timing plate back on with? Inge suggested I use Permatex Black RTV, at least I think that's what he suggested, was going to use it to reseal the timing cover and water/oil pump, does that make sense to you? I'm a total nube when it comes to resealing what I take off.

Cheers
Chris

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Chris, I used a normal liquid packing, permatex will be good enough. Just make sure both mating surfaces are clean and dry and follow the instructions :-)
The Tylenol bottle was a small one (Diam 36 mm - 1 3/8??)
You use it to form the seal and as the diameter is the same as of the shaft you should be OK.

Rene

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Done. Tylonol bottle worked a charm, resealed with Permatex black, the only tricky part was reinstalling the HES with those pesky halfmoon washers, gotta keep your eye on those or they get lost pretty easily. No leaks. Started up like it should! Thanks!

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi , those little washers are a bit tricky, got to dig out the glasses! when I pull the timing cover, I tape a wire to the end of the oil pressure wire and pull that up through the water/oil pump. then pull it back down on reassembly , which you probably did.

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
yankeeone wrote:Hi , those little washers are a bit tricky, got to dig out the glasses! when I pull the timing cover, I tape a wire to the end of the oil pressure wire and pull that up through the water/oil pump. then pull it back down on reassembly , which you probably did.

Exactly, the tape also helps you to remember which wire went where.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum