BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 am

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I have just changed the fluids on my newly acquired R100RS 16v and noted that the drained FD oil was badly emulsified. Everything was working fine and without noise, so it is perhaps a tribute to the effectiveness of modern oils that it continued to do its job in this condition. My question to those with vastly more experience of the model than me is what is likely to have caused what I presume to have been water ingress into the FD? I note that the bike has an obviously new gaiter and clips fitted at the FD / swing arm joint, but even if it had been run with a failed gaiter I do not see how water would have got past the pinion seal. Any ideas? The one fluid not yet changed is the fork oil; what grade is recommended for the 16v forks for a 75kg rider and very occasional passenger?

2Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 am

Life time member
Life time member
You didn't power wash around the breather did you?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

3Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:45 am

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
88KE wrote:You didn't power wash around the breather did you?

Not me, but I've only had it a little over a week so it could have happened previously.

4Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Emulsified final drive oil. Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
Have you checked the FD breather ? The bike could have been standing in the rain for a extended period or maybe riden through deep water ?Emulsified final drive oil 178468

Bikes Name: Lazyboy

5Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 am

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Lazyboy wrote:Have you checked the FD breather ? The bike could have been standing in the rain for a extended period or maybe riden through deep water ?Emulsified final drive oil 178468

The breather looks intact and the cap rotates normally; how else may it be checked for function?

6Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Also check that the O-ring in the bottom of the breather is present, and not torn.

7Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
mr grumpy wrote:I have just changed the fluids on my newly acquired R100RS 16v \

16 valves on a boxer twin?! Surely you meant K.

8Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Guest in the House wrote:
mr grumpy wrote:I have just changed the fluids on my newly acquired R100RS 16v \

16 valves on a boxer twin?! Surely you meant K.

Well spotted, yes, K100RS! There's probably another 12 valves of some description somewhere on an R100.

9Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:35 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mr Grumpy
my money would be on a deep water creek crossing with a hot bike. Happens a lot with 4wd transmission
boxes. If you have changed the oil there shouldn't be further probs. Go for a nice ride and relax till you
check it again.
RT

10Back to top Go down   Emulsified final drive oil Empty Re: Emulsified final drive oil Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
My K kept churning its gearbox oil into milky Cafe Americano every coupla months for a while there. I'd drain it and refill it and go off down the road every day. It didn't seem to happen just when it rained and I tend to stay away from deep creek crossings and surfing during high tide. There was never any oil on the driveway nor spread along the swingarm, ruling out oil egress and, so I thought, water ingress. The gearbox didn't suffer with rough bearings or poor shifting. But, one hot day I did notice a small split in the clutch arm boot which allowed a few traces of oil onto the ground. Voila! The tear at the top side of the boot near the centre was allowing some water to get in through the back of the 'box. Out came the oil mixed with water once again - must have been three or four times. I replaced the boot, seal, clutch release arm and needle bearings, as well as the adjustment nut & bolt. In the end it's working as intended; shifts well both up and down, and no longer allows water in. My point is that if left unremedied you're asking for trouble but while it's not ideal, a little bit of water in a well-maintained FD or 'box has not been a big cause for concern for me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum