BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Engine Head Bolts Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:00 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Can anyone please point me in the right direction for a set of new K head bolts. I just can not seem to find them.

2Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Are they the 1 use strechy ones Neil

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:01 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
neil send "gith" a pm i suspect there might be a few places , "over there"

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Rick. They are the single use bolts ...and are a torque head!! :xwas not aware of re-usable ones. I have a suspicion that my rattle may be in a bearing shell. Going to
have look and measure.I am going to fit new valve stem seals as well. I am also considering new rings as my compression is down to around 25 on all four.

5Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:38 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah 25 aint exactly a grand sum. I have never liked the way the head bolts go into the aluminium case without any steel sleeves to me it's sort of looking for trouble with a stripped thread. I looked into using studs but never found anything suitable as most studs do the barrels and head.
When you do the rings clean the bores and get them in the light at a sery obtuse angle so you see any imperfections in the nikasil then rub with auto trans fluid and wipe out with paper towel till the paper comes out clean and red like the ATF. Then have another look.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks rick. Ill put it on the list. Are head bolts are a certain profile? I cant remember. How about a high tensile m10x135 with thread length to match???

7Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Head bolts usually have a neck or step part the length of the bolt. A built in weak point.
Just a tip when you tension the head make sure to use something like never sieze or Loctite antisieze on the thread and under the head of the bolt.
When I was doing my trade we were shown why. A 1/2 in bolt pulled down to 50ft/lb with a dry thread and head would consistently give close to 1 ton force, we then lubed the thread and it went to 4 ton then lubed the head and got 5.3 tons.
Lots of people meticuously clean everything then dont lube the bolts and subsequently a head gasget goes within a few months and it has to get done all over again.

8Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:09 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I found some new ones at Moto works and one other in the states. both about the same price. $14.00 each. Sherlock sais he thought the original ones were reusable. I will just go with new ones. thanks for the input.

9Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:22 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow alby thats a low reading ....good luck !!

hey get the bottom end bearing shell bolts and nuts too alby ...i seem to recall that the big end bolts were stretchy ones, not sure about the main journals ....i recon they would be good for many tightens ...but im always willing to learn something new .

ima thinking a good valve job is on the cards too alby ...if you can get some new springs ?

let me know if you need a hand huh ?

cheers mate

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Alby, from me, ten US bucks a pop. Gotta get 'em from Germany. One week max. See PM sent earlier today. Cheers.

11Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:wow alby thats a low reading ....good luck !!

hey get the bottom end bearing shell bolts and nuts too alby ...i seem to recall that the big end bolts were stretchy ones, not sure about the main journals ....i recon they would be good for many tightens ...but im always willing to learn something new .

ima thinking a good valve job is on the cards too alby ...if you can get some new springs ?

let me know if you need a hand huh ?

cheers mate

@@#**^%@ I have just checked the compression readings again. T.W.O and up to temp as last time. 150psi!!!! What the!!! Well since I sat down and had a think about it...This is the head I fitted after finding all the scoring on the journals of my original head. No need to fix anything now Crying or Very sad..Gues Ill just have to build a new performance engine with all the goodies I now have Very Happy Very Happy with one of the spare engines!!! Top idea bert 2.0

12Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:25 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Did you check since fitting the new head?

13Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:36 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Yes! today and the result was 150. I tested with the old head before i found the damage. I made a note of it at the time and did not even think of it again untill today when I was thinking about the job of rings and valves. I have a nice pile of new spare parts now..

14Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:31 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Must have been leaking out the valves.

15Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sure is some leak ...ima thinking that you have done a few miles since then alby and a change of fuel as well ?
?

16Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:22 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Yes..one big leak...I have thought about it today. i am certain i made the compression test on the strip and clean of the bike. I then later found the head to have damaged cam journals chasing the oil leak around the #3 injector.. replaced that head and forgot about it. Orderd the parts to do the job...rechecked the pressure and found it normal..I goofed big time!!! Embarassed

17Back to top Go down   Engine Head Bolts Empty Re: Engine Head Bolts Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ouch alby !!!

well at least you might be well prepared for doing a unleaded valve and seat upgrade if your playing with the 84 head ...as well as the k75 pistons modification ..and youve already got the 3 core radiator

was talking to chis at the bm shop on friday arvo ...and he mentioned that a bloke locally, had done those mods and more ...(fill you in later ) and made a seriously fast bike ....one that i guess that the rest of the guys gave up trying to chase (from the sound of their disappointment of his mods )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum