BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Gear position switch Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:44 am

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
Has anyone got a couple of spare pins and a spring for the gear position switch. One spring had broken and lost a pin when it flew out at 120mph when I took the cover of. Would rather not replace the whole switch.

K100 RS 1991
R80 GS 1990

2Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I would have loved to have said yes not a problem I have one downstairs.... but I binned my old switch a week ago because I couldn't see a use for it having replaced the one that I broke!

Sorry

Gear position switch 169042Gear position switch 169034

3Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:29 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
twincarb wrote:I would have loved to have said yes not a problem I have one downstairs.... but I binned my old switch a week ago because I couldn't see a use for it having replaced the one that I broke!

Sorry

Sad I only need one of the springs now after finding the two pins on the garage floor.

K100 RS 1991
R80 GS 1990

4Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:24 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
They are only little springs try a flic a bic lighter spring, might be the same size

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

5Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 am

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
K75cster wrote:They are only little springs try a flic a bic lighter spring, might be the same size

Tried a couple but they are to long or wide. I could try cutting them down but need to get it right first time as both M4 screws sheared on removal and to small to extract so will end up gluing it back on for the final time.

K100 RS 1991
R80 GS 1990

6Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
get an old speaker ....(bigger the better ) and drag it round the floor

the magnetism can find amazing things ...but more important the things you might not be able to see first glance

just a suggestion

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Giles,
Whilst searching for something else, I came across an old faulty gear position switch. The fault is in the encapsulated wiring at the top of the switch but the lower part, springs and pins are OK.

I've cleaned the spring sockets and pins, DeoxIT of course, and it's showing good contact between the pins and the central earth contact.

If you want it PM your address and I'll put it in the post.

To test the assembled switch, here is the switching logic:-

There are 4 wires,
A.....yellow/blue
B.....yellow/black
C.....yellow/white
E.....brown (earth)

1st...............B C... connected to E
Neutral.......A B C... to E
2nd............A... C... to E
3rd...................C... to E
4th............A B...... to E
5th...............B...... to E

Paul.

8Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:23 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:get an old speaker ....(bigger the better ) and drag it round the floor

the magnetism can find amazing things ...but more important the things you might not be able to see first glance

just a suggestion

Good idea Charlie.....except the pins are not magnetic. It was a hands and knees job....but found both of them. Spring was broken but seems I may have been offered a replacement.

K100 RS 1991
R80 GS 1990

9Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
sidecar paul wrote:Giles,
Whilst searching for something else, I came across an old faulty gear position switch. The fault is in the encapsulated wiring at the top of the switch but the lower part, springs and pins are OK.

I've cleaned the spring sockets and pins, DeoxIT of course, and it's showing good contact between the pins and the central earth contact.

If you want it PM your address and I'll put it in the post.

To test the assembled switch, here is the switching logic:-

There are 4 wires,
A.....yellow/blue
B.....yellow/black
C.....yellow/white
E.....brown (earth)

1st...............B C... connected to E
Neutral.......A B C... to E
2nd............A... C... to E
3rd...................C... to E
4th............A B...... to E
5th...............B...... to E

Paul.

Fantastic.....and thanks for the additinal info.

K100 RS 1991
R80 GS 1990

10Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
its a bit of closing the door after the horse has bolted.... my basement floor/workshop was just plain concrete i was always looking for bits that fell off the worktop etc... I have now painted the floor a light brown type colour not only is the room brighter but i can normally find the bits that i dropped...

Gear position switch 169042Gear position switch 169034

11Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:44 am

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
twincarb wrote:its a bit of closing the door after the horse has bolted.... my basement floor/workshop was just plain concrete i was always looking for bits that fell off the worktop etc... I have now painted the floor a light brown type colour not only is the room brighter but i can normally find the bits that i dropped...

Once bits stop breaking, dropping off, leaking, ratlling etc.. on the K painting the garage floor is my next job. I painted both the floor and the walls in my old garage and youre right it makes a huge difference. Just not getting dusty every time you kneel down is worth the trouble alone.

K100 RS 1991
R80 GS 1990

12Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:32 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
What, no carpet!

13Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:47 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Gear position switch 44271

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

14Back to top Go down   Gear position switch Empty Re: Gear position switch Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
Why extract? I had to drill and retap the 2mm screws that hold my front break light switch in place. Better to do that then glue it back.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.
And a load of K100 projects and parts.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum