BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
...and my Motronic is making some funky noises.

Took on a big project beginning of June: repainted fairings, replaced main seal, clutch plate/o-ring, spline lube, breather hose, air filter, also replaced cracked throttle-body breather hose (see attached) with a temporary hose until new one arrives - cut a piece from previous engine/breather hose, stupid? Figured it was for air, maybe. Got a new one on backorder. Also replaced crankshaft seal, Dielectric greased all connectors, put the key in annnnd there's no spark.

Sparkplugs aren't firing on my RS...[SOLVED] Dbb31b10

Sparkplugs aren't firing on my RS...[SOLVED] 110

The starter turns over nicely, cluster lights up everywhere, got a fuel reading, headlight, motronic clicks from ABS sensor needing reset, then started clicking consecutively which is weird.

Says it's something Ignition related in Clymers troubleshooting guide, however I don't remember messing with the ignition. Had the starter out but put it back the way I found it after cleaning connections...I'll keep at it.

Last edited by TSBT on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Make sure you have the battery in with neg to earth and the earth connected at the gearbox.
Unplug any relays and well anything that plugs in like Hall sensors handlebar switches.
Then plug them all back in one at a time starting with the right handlebar switch then the left.
This may tell where the problem is and give a starting point.
There may be a pinched wire that is causing a short and making the protection in the motronic cut in and then out to protect itself.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Rick G wrote:Make sure you have the battery in with neg to earth and the earth connected at the gearbox.
Unplug any relays and well anything that plugs in like Hall sensors handlebar switches.
Then plug them all back in one at a time starting with the right handlebar switch then the left.
This may tell where the problem is and give a starting point.
There may be a pinched wire that is causing a short and making the protection in the motronic cut in and then out to protect itself.

Cheers Rick. Appreciate it. grounded, but I'll recheck the wires.

Unplugged the motronic again so it'll reset, found that after opening my gas cap, shining a light and turning it over, there was no turbulence in the gas from the fuel pump, plus the fuel pump was making a buzzing sound. Wonder if when I had it in the paintshop it got effed up, thinking I should replace. Also there's no fyuel on the plugs after turning over. dry as a board. Could be the pump me thinks study

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If the fuel pump has siezed which they do when left without fuel that will explain things. I think they get a bit if rust on the rollers and that stops them turning. Dont buy a new OEM have a check around there are lots of after market pumps that do the job. The important thing is the pressure they deliver and the volume of fuel they pump.
I use a ford pump (from 6 cyl ford OHC built late 80s to mid 90s) and it works fine and only cost $55 in Oz. I use zip ties to hold them in place.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Rick, I'm looking into a replacement pump. In the meantime my Motronic stopped making funny noises, unplugging for an hour must've re-set it. Sounds like its just the fuel pump making noise now. Drained the tank more to see if there's any turbulence in the gas when i turn it over, still nothing. Removed the gas line from the fuel rail, gas shot out so there's pressure. Still haven't got a spark. Wonder if my sparkplug cables got bent one too many times and they need replacement, the side-stand is up, almost positive I replaced the stand-sensor in the proper order. Wonder if my injectors are clogged Question Back at it tonight, the mystery continues!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would short the wires together on the side stand switch plug which is under the right side cover then at least it makes one less thing for the equasion. On many electrical appliances there is a power cord with a outlet plug on one end and a 2 pin plug on the other, the 2 pin plug can be used to connect into the switch plug and bare the wires and twist them together. It makes a thing that you can carry with you in case of a switch failure.

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Simple oversight, alotta wires tucked in around the coils and I missed connecting a ground when reassembling. Thanks for the troubleshoot Very Happy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum