BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Swingarm bearing.... Empty Swingarm bearing.... Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:25 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Just put both of the swingarm bearings into the swingarm.... however in my excitement of putting them in I forgot to put the grease shield back in.... Any comments on whether I should improvise a shield from the inside of the swingarm (its the side closest to the driveshaft) and only fit it back in place if I have to replace the bearing again...

or

do I take the new bearing out... or as I will be disturbing the whole thing is it a case of new bearing?

Swingarm bearing.... 169042Swingarm bearing.... 169034

2Back to top Go down   Swingarm bearing.... Empty Re: Swingarm bearing.... Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would put it in now. Those bearings lead a very hard life down there and need all the help they can get. I have often toyed with the idea of making a better shield for them but as always there is something else that needs attention first.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Swingarm bearing.... Empty bearings Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 am

sven k100

sven k100
definately put the shields back in ( mine are brass discs araldited in , as i destroyed the originals getting the old outer races out ). Then fill the area with as much waterproof grease as you can, as these bearings can be subject to a lot of corrosion. When i first got my bike, the pivot pins were seized into the bearings and had to be renewed also.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum