BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   fuel tank repair Empty fuel tank repair Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:04 pm

ridefar

ridefar
my 89 K100 rs had 11 (eleven) pin holes that I repaired with permatex epoxy. I am considering using an epoxy coating ( tank lining ). My thinking is that a lining would cut the chances of getting a leak while out on the road. The manufacturer ( Caswell ) says its good for aluminum tanks. I have never lined an aluminum tank. What do you think?

2Back to top Go down   fuel tank repair Empty Re: fuel tank repair Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If the surface was prepared properly the permatex is very good. I have used it on 4 different tanks now and none have failed the oldest being 6 years since repair.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   fuel tank repair Empty Re: fuel tank repair Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I have used JBWeld with good results, but indeed, good surface preparation is required.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland fuel tank repair Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

4Back to top Go down   fuel tank repair Empty Re: fuel tank repair Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 pm

ridefar

ridefar
maybe my question is misunderstood. my repair is good with no problems. what I am thinking about doing is coating the tank inside. the reason being that I repaired so many pin holes. any experience with this process on an aluminum tank would be appreciated. thanx.

5Back to top Go down   fuel tank repair Empty Re: fuel tank repair Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:28 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
There would be no reason why a tank liner would cause any problems on an aluminum tank esp if the liner manufacturer says it would work. I would advise keeping the literture that comes with it plus any email correspondence so you have a chance of redress if there product fails. Although they would probably claim incorrect preparation.

The worst case scenario if it went wrong would be a leak in the tank at one of your repairs, or the lining coming off and clogging up one of the 2 filters in there....

The other option of course would be to flush the tank out totally so there is no vapor left inside and get your holes welded... yes it's a step backward but it wouldn't require a lining... The final question is have you identified what caused the holes in the first place?

fuel tank repair 169042fuel tank repair 169034

6Back to top Go down   fuel tank repair Empty Re: fuel tank repair Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 pm

ridefar

ridefar
i believe it was moisture when p/o left the bike sit for an extended period. the paint blistered at the lowest point of the tank (11 places). under every blister a pin hole. it is repaired. my concern is that the tank wall may be thin in this entire area. what do you think?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum