BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Intermittent speedo failure Empty Intermittent speedo failure Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 pm

KlaustheK

KlaustheK
Silver member
Silver member
My speedo cuts out while riding. I have already tried cleaning and di-electric greasing the three prong connector inside the speedo housing. It seems to happen more often after it has been parked at work int the sun but not always. I dont think it is related to the actual speedometer or the gauge cluster because i have already pulled theat and cleaned all the connectors three times. is there are common place for these 25 year old wires to wear through the insulation? any other suggestions besides an after market speedo?

2Back to top Go down   Intermittent speedo failure Empty Re: Intermittent speedo failure Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 pm

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Hi KlaustheK,
The techy guys will get to you soon but you can start by checking and carefully cleaning the speedo speed sensor on the differential housing and where it connects to the wiring via the plug connection near the coolant overflow bottle.
Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

3Back to top Go down   Intermittent speedo failure Empty Re: Intermittent speedo failure Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
KlaustheK wrote:My speedo cuts out while riding. I have already tried cleaning and di-electric greasing the three prong connector inside the speedo housing. It seems to happen more often after it has been parked at work int the sun but not always. I dont think it is related to the actual speedometer or the gauge cluster because i have already pulled theat and cleaned all the connectors three times. is there are common place for these 25 year old wires to wear through the insulation? any other suggestions besides an after market speedo?

Greeting Klaus, and welcome to the forum. When you get a mo' jump over to the member's introduction section and, well, introduce yerownbadself. After that you can get a password from Crazy Frog, our esteemed admin dude, and from there you can access all of the forum's downloads and such to get a better chance at the info that's here concerning the chronic speedo gremlins we all suffer to a degree. As Dee Why suggested there's a coupla easy fixes for your dilemma.
Cheers.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

4Back to top Go down   Intermittent speedo failure Empty Re: Intermittent speedo failure Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:57 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Klaus!

Also check the connections at the preamplifier.

Intermittent speedo failure Forfor10

5Back to top Go down   Intermittent speedo failure Empty all better Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:47 pm

KlaustheK

KlaustheK
Silver member
Silver member
cleaned the magnet and the midpoint connection and the problem is gone. thanks

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum