BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Heat insulation on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Hello, here in Croatia no rain for two and half month with temps 35 shade, good knows on sun. I tried to get some heat insulation on RT:

- I bought 100 cm peace of rubber stripe for car windows and cianoacril glue. I glued the stripe to the inner, tank side leg protector on both sides of fairing.

Went for a ride, everything was good except heat that came to right underknee area from empty space beetwen air box and tank. So I put peace of black foam 40 mm thick under the tank.

Went on ride again and heat was tolerable even in shorties (35 degrees in shade today).

Regards

Heat insulation Insula11

Heat insulation Insula11

Heat insulation Insula11
Heat insulation Guma10
Heat insulation Spuzva12

    

2Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Heat insulation on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:54 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Wow Nino that is pretty warm for you guys. I've taken my lower fairings off again to prepare for summer but it was 2 deg C this morning, might have been a little earlier.
That is a good idea, thanks
RT


__________________________________________________
2011 R1200RT
    

3Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:49 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
All K100's have a space under cylinder #1 it seems like a good place fora an after market radiator. Would that help the origional radiator dissapate the heat?


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

4Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:54 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work nino ...did similar a couple of months ago ...it sure does help, yes ?


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OHeat insulation Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
    

5Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, it helps a lot. Temp here was 35 - 36 in shade, and I drove 150 km on highway. Day before I tried with shorties in city for half an hour and was OK. But after 30 minutes on highway speed engine was too hot for shorties, but for jeans and some everyday shoes absolutely tolerable. My problem was heat wave on higher speed - hot air from radiator through the holes in fairing. Usually I removed inner protectors to allow air stream. Not any more

Regards

    

6Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:46 am

88

88
Life time member
Life time member
Good thinking Nino. I've no real first hand experience of the heat given off by an LT/RT, our summers have been so bad since I got the K. I take and interest in this area tho' since my original purpose for buying the bike was a summertime road trip to the continent.

Will


__________________________________________________
Heat insulation Ir-log11 88....May contain nuts!Heat insulation Ir-log11

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.
    

7Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:57 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
I have a manual override for the cooling fan. In winter it directs warm air through the fairing if I remove the internal baffles, it emerges through the vertical fins in the knee pads and up around the gas tank. Exceedingly useful and doesnt take long to remove or refit the baffles.

92KK


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 37,190 miles
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles.
    

8Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
92KK K100LT 193214 wrote:I have a manual override for the cooling fan. In winter it directs warm air through the fairing if I remove the internal baffles, it emerges through the vertical fins in the knee pads and up around the gas tank. Exceedingly useful and doesnt take long to remove or refit the baffles.

92KK


Can you explain?

    

9Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:38 pm

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Anybody knows is it possible to embedd air scoops from LT upper fairing to RT (earlier) fairing? I meant side scoops near the knees on outer side of upper fairing. Is it simple or waste of time and money?

Regards

    

10Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nino best to start looking to see if you have the cups installed behind the forks on the underside of the top of the radiator fairing ...their design is to charge the air in the fairing with cool air rather than just the radiator waste hot air .... i think the recommended mod was to remove fork gaiters to aid in the airflow into the cups ...some already done

on some rt and lt bikes there was a small scoop out in front of the forks through a small diamond shape piece for similar purposes ....a mate out here had them installed ...but they are hard to find ...they also would help

other will be able to help about the side panel vents that you mention as i have no direct experience with them

about the fan override .....the temp sensor has 2 paths ...1> to the underseat efi computer 2 >the other to the temp switching unit (fan control ) by shorting the temp relay sensor input to ground you can turn the fan on at will

i think we can elaborate if you need it .


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OHeat insulation Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
    

11Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 pm

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
I dont have gaiters, but have little fork scoops. Yesterday when drove a long distance on highway notices that the area behind pockets (hand on outer side) became very hot. I think scoops from later series of LT could help.

    

12Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
or just take the lowers off durring summer ?

will be working on another lowwers mod when i can get the parts together.



Last edited by charlie99 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OHeat insulation Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
    

13Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Inge, I didnt think of spoilers, but the romboid outlet near the knee area on outer side. I saw outlets on pur member Ffbikersa LT bike. I it possible to cut upper fairing in that manner?

    

14Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@nino wrote:Inge, I didnt think of spoilers, but the romboid outlet near the knee area on outer side.
That`s why I deleted my post, when I did realise that I did misunderstand the question.
I first did think that you had the spoilers at the air outlet in mind.

About the outlets in the upper fairing, it should be possible to make holes.....
but it`s also some parts and painting involved.
These was in use from 06/88 on LT`s, also parts in the same area on the inside of the fairing was changed around the same date.

Heat insulation Kaype10


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

15Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:59 pm

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Inge K. wrote:
@nino wrote:Inge, I didnt think of spoilers, but the romboid outlet near the knee area on outer side.
That`s why I deleted my post, when I did realise that I did misunderstand the question.
I first did think that you had the spoilers at the air outlet in mind.

About the outlets in the upper fairing, it should be possible to make holes.....
but it`s also some parts and painting involved.
These was in use from 06/88 on LT`s, also parts in the same area on the inside of the fairing was changed around the same date.


Thanks Inge. Is it effective?
Heat insulation Kaype10

    

16Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@nino wrote:Thanks Inge. Is it effective?
No idea, newer tried a bike with these ones mounted.........
ask ffbikersa, if he notice any difference with them in open vs. closed position.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

17Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 pm

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
[quote="nino"]
@Inge K. wrote:
@nino wrote:
Thanks Inge. Is it effective?
No


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki
    

18Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Nino

I only just saw your post about the fan override switch but Charlie 99 has answered it. It is great in winter once you take out the baffles. There is a horizontal one under the two side boxes screwed to the junction between the upper and lower fairing pieces. You can leave that one in and most of the air comes out of the slots in the black knee panels. Take them out and you get warm air up around the fuel tank and upper body.

92KE


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 37,190 miles
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles.
    

19Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
92KK K100LT 193214 wrote:Nino

I only just saw your post about the fan override switch but Charlie 99 has answered it. It is great in winter once you take out the baffles. There is a horizontal one under the two side boxes screwed to the junction between the upper and lower fairing pieces. You can leave that one in and most of the air comes out of the slots in the black knee panels. Take them out and you get warm air up around the fuel tank and upper body.

92KE

Thanks

    

20Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Heat insulation Dscf0110

This is my bike and the side vents can be clearly seen, Not that in the UK we see a lot of hot weather but on the odd occation when we have been heavenly blessed I have noticed the legs getting rather hot on a long run, I do not think that in hotter climes that the side vent would be the only answer and some of the wonderous ideas amongst the members of this forum would go a long way to easing this problem.

just my opinion



BIG D

    

21Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:03 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@BIG D wrote:Cool

Heat insulation Dscf0110

This is my bike and the side vents can be clearly seen, Not that in the UK we see a lot of hot weather but on the odd occation when we have been heavenly blessed I have noticed the legs getting rather hot on a long run, I do not think that in hotter climes that the side vent would be the only answer and some of the wonderous ideas amongst the members of this forum would go a long way to easing this problem.

just my opinion



BIG D

Thanks. Nice clean bike you have

    

22Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:58 pm

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Great mods, Nino!

I haven't done any of this (actually don't have fairing lowers at the moment), but your mods look really similar to the work done in this article on the ibmwr pages. Have you tried insulating the fuel return line yet?


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RS
    

23Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:14 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@zaubertuba wrote:Great mods, Nino!

I haven't done any of this (actually don't have fairing lowers at the moment), but your mods look really similar to the work done in this article on the ibmwr pages. Have you tried insulating the fuel return line yet?

Not yet. I did something which is simple and fast, all tohether 2 hours job. Next I ll try to insulate fuel hoses, main and return line, but after the summer. Whar are temps like in your area?

    

24Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:04 pm

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
@nino wrote:
@zaubertuba wrote:Great mods, Nino!

I haven't done any of this (actually don't have fairing lowers at the moment), but your mods look really similar to the work done in this article on the ibmwr pages. Have you tried insulating the fuel return line yet?

Not yet. I did something which is simple and fast, all tohether 2 hours job. Next I ll try to insulate fuel hoses, main and return line, but after the summer. Whar are temps like in your area?

We get all four seasons here, and not a lot of precipitation so you can ride (nearly) year-round...but Late July early August high 90's/100's F is not uncommon. It's only just now starting to get cool again in the evenings. 👅

My bike didn't come with fairing lowers so I figured I'd add them this Fall. Really nice to be able to see the work you've done so far. Smile


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RS
    

25Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:19 pm

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@zaubertuba wrote:
@nino wrote:
@zaubertuba wrote:Great mods, Nino!

I haven't done any of this (actually don't have fairing lowers at the moment), but your mods look really similar to the work done in this article on the ibmwr pages. Have you tried insulating the fuel return line yet?

Not yet. I did something which is simple and fast, all tohether 2 hours job. Next I ll try to insulate fuel hoses, main and return line, but after the summer. Whar are temps like in your area?

We get all four seasons here, and not a lot of precipitation so you can ride (nearly) year-round...but Late July early August high 90's/100's F is not uncommon. It's only just now starting to get cool again in the evenings. 👅

My bike didn't come with fairing lowers so I figured I'd add them this Fall. Really nice to be able to see the work you've done so far. Smile

K lowers offers really great protection for legs on cooler temps and specially on rain. But in summer with 30 C plus better to be removed.

Regards

    

26Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:36 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
@nino wrote:
@BIG D wrote:Cool

Heat insulation Dscf0110

This is my bike and the side vents can be clearly seen, Not that in the UK we see a lot of hot weather but on the odd occation when we have been heavenly blessed I have noticed the legs getting rather hot on a long run, I do not think that in hotter climes that the side vent would be the only answer and some of the wonderous ideas amongst the members of this forum would go a long way to easing this problem.

just my opinion



BIG D

Thanks. Nice clean bike you have

That is looking super smart BIG D!


__________________________________________________
1991 K100 RS 16 valve
    

27Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:31 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
One little add to heat insulation: on hot days stream through alternator cover goes directly on right ankle. Trying to redirect hot stream from ankle I glued peace of rubber (from shoulder protector in old jacket) and it works well.

Regards

Heat insulation Alter10

    

28Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Few pics as explanation why heat insulation

Regards

Heat insulation Motori11

Heat insulation Piva10

Heat insulation Grad10

Heat insulation Mincet10

    

29Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Hot hot hot... on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:30 am

alansykes

avatar
active member
active member
Hi Nino, The hottest summer in living memory down here on the s.e. coast of Andalucia...which is why I removed all the RT Tupperware and stored it all away before reverting the K75 to 'naked' back in April. My question is how do you wire in an extra dashboard switch to manually control the rad fan ? Pictures or drawings please as I'm new to the K-bike over-engineered and over-complicated electrics all sprinkled with a multitude of inaccessible relays....maybe somebody has already done an idiot's guide ?

Somebody else even told me that the designers in Berlin originally added the option to the wiring - not implemented - of having the klaxon(s) beep gently in synch with the winkers !

Fingers XX'ed.

ALAN in Mojacar playa

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com
    

30Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 am

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@alansykes wrote:Hi Nino, The hottest summer in living memory down here on the s.e. coast of Andalucia...which is why I removed all the RT Tupperware and stored it all away before reverting the K75 to 'naked' back in April. My question is how do you wire in an extra dashboard switch to manually control the rad fan ? Pictures or drawings please as I'm new to the K-bike over-engineered and over-complicated electrics all sprinkled with a multitude of inaccessible relays....maybe somebody has already done an idiot's guide ?

Somebody else even told me that the designers in Berlin originally added the option to the wiring - not implemented - of having the klaxon(s) beep gently in synch with the winkers !

Fingers XX'ed.

ALAN in Mojacar playa

Hello Alan, I didnt touch that a area at all. Try to search in our forum search engine and you will find different options. Not complicated to install at all.

Regards

    

31Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:02 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@alansykes wrote: My question is how do you wire in an extra dashboard switch to manually control the rad fan ?

Tap into the E terminal (sensor connection) at the heat management relay, and ground it via a switch.

If you find the warning light disturbing, have a look at reply #11 in this thread.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

32Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 am

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
If you put a switch across 15 & A2 on the fan relay you will still have the function of the warning light working correctly when the fan override is turned on.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki
    

33Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Rad fan manual override switch -2valve K75 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 am

alansykes

avatar
active member
active member
"Tap into the E terminal (sensor connection) at the heat management relay, and ground it via a switch.

If you find the warning light disturbing, have a look at reply #11 in this thread.[/quote]

Thanks Inge - could I be really boring and ask you for a quick sketch of the wiring needed ?

In the past I've put together a complete FM radio broadcasting station unaided, but all this about "tap into but don't use a Scotchlok" and "ground-out the such-and-such coloured wire" is gobbledegook to me, I'm afraid, unless there's an actual sketch of which relay(s) are involved, where they are in the mystery box, what gauge of wire is needed, how many wires are needed, where they go to and which terminal(s) they come from. Sorry to be a pain, but for hot countries, despite the over-engineered cooling system on these bikes, with the effects of global warming becoming ever more obvious and devastating, the ability to override the rad fan control on K bikes whilst retaining the auto-warn function should be a standard modification routine, bearing in mind there is a spare switch-slot on all 2v K-bike dashboards.

And the only way to get that detailed information is from K-bike experts like you. In other words, for the sake of all getting-ever-hotter-country K-bike riders, please lead us by the hand !

Regards from sweltering Andalucia, ALAN

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com
    

34Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:53 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
It's not that complicated. You can splice a wire below the temperature relay foot into the sensor wire (by your preferred means ;-) ) and connect it to a switch somewhere. The other contact of the switch is connected to the ground/frame somewhere. Switching it on makes the temperature relay 'think' that the bike is overheating and will react accordingly - switch the fan on and have the red light come on. I have done it and like the red light on, so as to have a reminder that I have the switch on.


__________________________________________________
Greetings from Florida! Having a 'new' K  :cyclops:    Surprised-o: 

Rene


BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Heat insulation Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)
    

35Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:37 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Since Rene allready has explained much about this circuit, I just need to fill in the other details you have asked about.

The relay is white and rectangular, and you find it at the right side in the relay box.....under the rear end of the tank.
A 0,75mm2 wire should be sufficient for this setup.

On the other hand I think Rick`s solution also is a good idea, `cause ..as he says,
then you have high temp warning circuit still in function.
Could be a idea to go up to 1,5mm2 wire for this setup.

Terminal E: violet wire with green marking.
Terminal 15: green wire with brown marking.
Terminal A2: violet wire with yellow marking.

About "do not use scotchlock", Posi-tap should be a better solution, never tested them myself.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

36Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Radiator fan manual override switch wiring on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:00 am

alansykes

avatar
active member
active member
Thanks Inge - so looking at both your replies, and wanting to go with the 'keep the auto-function' option, does the switch have to be Double-Pole, Double Thow to accommodate the 'E' terminal to Ground and also Terminal 15 to Terminal A2 ?

I DO wish there were a simple sketch of the wiring ! ! !

Regards, ALAN

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com
    

37Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:09 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Thanks for the info on the Positap Inge never seen them before I don't like scotchlocks they look terrible and are a means of corrosion as most I have seen are left uncovered.



BIG D

    

38Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:22 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@BIG D wrote:Cool

are a means of corrosion as most I have seen are left uncovered.



BIG D


+10...........should be used indoor only.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

39Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rick`s suggestion:


Heat insulation Rela10


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

40Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Radiator Fan Manual Override switch on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:24 am

alansykes

avatar
active member
active member
BRILLIANT ! Many many thanks to you Inge, and to Rick and Rene.

What a wonderful resource this forum is !

Thanks again - ALAN in Mojacar

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com
    

41Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I thought the scotchlock connectors were for single strand wire not multistrand???? have a particular model of scotchlock connector in mind???


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

42Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Bigsax

Bigsax
Gold member
Gold member
@zaubertuba wrote:Great mods, Nino!

I haven't done any of this (actually don't have fairing lowers at the moment), but your mods look really similar to the work done in  this article on the ibmwr pages.  Have you tried insulating the fuel return line yet?
Hi Zaubertuba, could you post some pics of your bike without the lowers please. I am interested to see how the radiator area looks.


__________________________________________________
Heat insulation Brick110
I stole this image, let me know if you want it back.
    

43Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Bigsax

Bigsax
Gold member
Gold member
@nino wrote:Hello, here in Croatia no rain for two and half month with temps 35 shade, good knows on sun. I tried to get some heat insulation on RT:

- I bought 100 cm peace of rubber stripe for car windows and cianoacril glue. I glued the stripe to the inner, tank side leg protector on both sides of fairing.

Went for a ride, everything was good except heat that came to right underknee area from empty space beetwen air box and tank. So I put peace of black foam 40 mm thick under the tank.

Went on ride again and heat was tolerable even in shorties (35 degrees in shade today).

Regards

Heat insulation Insula11

Heat insulation Insula11

Heat insulation Insula11
Heat insulation Guma10
Heat insulation Spuzva12
Thank you Nino, I will put some insulation under the tank. We have similar weather where I live in Western Australia but I think we probably have lots more open roads and highway riding. I would imagine it is really hot sitting in traffic at 35 degrees!


__________________________________________________
Heat insulation Brick110
I stole this image, let me know if you want it back.
    

44Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:17 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Silver member
Silver member
If you're riding in heat, have you considered putting wing flaps on the outside of your fairing to direct outside air onto you legs? I bought them when I had a K100.

My current ride, a K75, does not have lowers but does have a R100RT top half fairing and there is considerably less heat. But I thought for the K100 the factory foam inserts with adjustments are probably the best heat shielding.

Back when I had the k100 I wondered if the radiator couldn't be relocated to where the battery is and the battery put up front. With the new super efficient capacitor replacements for batteries it might be more possible. Get the heat behind the rider.

    

45Back to top Go down   Heat insulation Empty Re: Heat insulation on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:57 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:All K100's have a space under cylinder #1 it seems like a good place fora an after market radiator. Would that help the origional radiator dissapate the heat?
Bravo. We may be on the same page here, but I'm thinking something much simpler like a sheet of fiberglass insulation to stop the heat rising from the source.

There's a large flat surface right behind the fan and radiator that if properly insulated could make a big difference. The thickness of the insulation should be about 1" (2.5cm) in order to fit just below the height of the fan.

I have some other ideas for insulation too that I'll be trying out in future.  :@:


__________________________________________________
'98 K1200RS Marrakesh Red

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum