BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
Title says it all. Mine is 'bleeding' black squares that should be white. Gear position is sent correctly to the speedo cluster... it's just that blasted LCD is now degrading after 27 years.

I'd hate to have to replace the whole $peedo clu$ster for just this little LCD. Are there any replacements? Anybody have one in good shape? It just bugs me to ride an otherwise nice bike and glance down at this black blotch that should show the gear position.

Thanks!

2Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:24 am

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
I bought one from Pala Alto speedo repair in Cal. it does bug you when they are a black mess

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Part # 62 11 1 459 238.

Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo 03010

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
Hey, that's great! Thank YOU!

5Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty gear indicator Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:51 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
One of the nicer aspects of owning these old bikes is the continued availability of spare parts. They do come at a price though... Shocked

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
brickrider wrote:One of the nicer aspects of owning these old bikes is the continued availability of spare parts. They do come at a price though... Shocked

I agree! The fact that these parts still exist, anywhere, from anyone is all part of the attraction to a BMW. Turns out this part is about $35 US, which isn't too bad, considering it will make me open up the Speedo cluster and use De-Oxit on all the various ribbon connectors. And replace the light bulbs while I'm there (did this on a previous K-bike).

My 27 year old 1985 K100RT looks surprisingly 'modern' even compared to the latest bikes. And it keeps on running, with the help of this forum. Thank you!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good price jim...

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty gear indicator Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Good price? That's an understatement! Last time I checked (yes, my gear indicator is toast) that little piece was in the neighborhood of $140US Sad
I think Jim must have a very good friend at the factory. Razz

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I will soon have an alternative for the factory gear indicator. I've designed a circuit to perform the same function as that board. It will accept the TGPI inputs and provide a gear indication as well as simulate the signal for the Neutral lamp and starter circuit. I originally designed it to be the replacement card for when I modify my K75. I'll be installing a VDO gauge and will loose the BMW instrument cluster. Instead of using the relay circuit that made the rounds a few months ago, I will use this circuit.

At the moment, it works in the simulator. I'm laying out the circuit card and, once that is done, I'll build and test the prototype. If there is interest, I'll publish the design guide and make up some circuit cards. This circuit should work equally for Acewell, Dakota Digital or Autometer gauges, or even broken K100 clusters. It uses readily availble parts. The parts count is low so the price to build one should be low as well. Stay tuned.

10Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:42 am

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
robmack wrote:I will soon have an alternative for the factory gear indicator. I've designed a circuit to perform the same function as that board. It will accept the TGPI inputs and provide a gear indication as well as simulate the signal for the Neutral lamp and starter circuit. I originally designed it to be the replacement card for when I modify my K75. I'll be installing a VDO gauge and will loose the BMW instrument cluster. Instead of using the relay circuit that made the rounds a few months ago, I will use this circuit.

At the moment, it works in the simulator. I'm laying out the circuit card and, once that is done, I'll build and test the prototype. If there is interest, I'll publish the design guide and make up some circuit cards. This circuit should work equally for Acewell, Dakota Digital or Autometer gauges, or even broken K100 clusters. It uses readily availble parts. The parts count is low so the price to build one should be low as well. Stay tuned.

Is it done yet?

lol!

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

11Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:11 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good one rob

i had a thought to replace the lcd with a led type display, just have to do some homework on the driver chip (common cathode - anode type stuff)

no one has a circuit for the original do they ?

or an old board with the lcd that is dead, that they would like to contribute ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
PM me your address Charlie, and I'll put one in the post to you.

Paul.

13Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Impossible, it seems, to find an electronic component supplier (like Mouser or Future) which carries single digit 7-segment LCD displays. All are LED nowadays. Any LCD displays are multiline and multidigit ones (4x16, 8x24, etc.) So, going LED will be the only choice as the stock of preassembled LCD boards depletes.

14Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 pm

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
brickrider wrote:Good price? That's an understatement! Last time I checked (yes, my gear indicator is toast) that little piece was in the neighborhood of $140US Sad
I think Jim must have a very good friend at the factory. Razz

Confirmed: the LCD itself is available here, for US $45:

Palo Alto Speedometer
www.paspeedo.com
718 Emerson St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301-2410
info@paspeedo.com
Tel: 650-323-0243

15Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
nice

16Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
robmack wrote:Impossible, it seems, to find an electronic component supplier (like Mouser or Future) which carries single digit 7-segment LCD displays. All are LED nowadays. Any LCD displays are multiline and multidigit ones (4x16, 8x24, etc.) So, going LED will be the only choice as the stock of preassembled LCD boards depletes.

I know they're factory packs, but certainly folks would be willing to purchase individual units if one brave soul wouldn't mind splurging $12-$25 to acquire the whole pack:

http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/Displays/LCD-Displays/LCD-Numeric-Display-Modules/_/N-6j739?P=1z0j4jx&Keyword=lcd&FS=True

Would sure show up better in daylight. Cool

EDIT: Intensely interested in this project if only because I tinker around smelling the solder fumes, myself. Wink

17Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
zaubertuba wrote:I know they're factory packs, but certainly folks would be willing to purchase individual units if one brave soul wouldn't mind splurging $12-$25 to acquire the whole pack
Those LCDs are huge displays -- 85mm x 100mm and similar. The ones on the K-bike instrument cluster are 8x10mm roughly.

18Back to top Go down   Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Empty Re: Need Gear Indicator LCD for Speedo Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
robmack wrote:Those LCDs are huge displays -- 85mm x 100mm and similar. The ones on the K-bike instrument cluster are 8x10mm roughly.

Doh! Sorry I didn't even look at that. Embarassed

It's funny--after poking around a bit on the web I'm feeling your pain in finding these things--and it really shouldn't be that difficult. I mean, it seems like it should be a fairly standard form factor. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum