BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Hello All,

I am soon to be the new owner of a 1991 K100LT from a friend's late father. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning and can't pick it up until the weekend of the 15th. Already ordered a new set of rubber and found out the rear ABS is not working and his father was vertically challenged so it has a lowered rear shock and I am 6'3" so I am looking for a stock shock. This will be my first touring bike and BMW so I am excited to see what all the buzz is about. My last bike was a V-Strom 650. Can't wait!

Soon To Be New Owner Dsc_0016

Soon To Be New Owner Dsc_0018

Soon To Be New Owner Dsc_0019

Soon To Be New Owner Dsc_0020

Soon To Be New Owner Dsc_0021
Soon To Be New Owner Dsc_0017

Last edited by mikidymac on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

2Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Well done Mikidymac! At six three you'll be needing the taller setup alright! Has the bike got the low seat option or just the lower shock?

It's always nice to get a machine that you know the history of. Enjoy mate, I'm sure the 15th won't come soon enough bounce Post pics when you get it (see "how to" sticky in general discussion forum)

Good to have you along.
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

3Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Thanks, as far as I know it is just the shock that is lowered and it has a Corbin seat. The bummer is that his mother threw out the stock parts! The bike just had a $3,000 service with full inspection by a BMW mechanic and family friend just before his father's passing and the bike has a little over 100,000 miles. This is when the rear ABS stopped working and his father did not care he just wanted to ride it before he passed. I hope it is something simple and my friend already bought a used rear modulator but never installed it.

Are there any service manuals available in .pdf format?

4Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
For .pdf manual go to the download section. You need a password from Crazy frog first and there are 3 to choose from. Clymer, haynes and OEM.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 pm

STEVE1959

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Mikidymac, I purchased my K100RT earlier in the year from a friend and he had lowered it by 30mm front and rear. A shortened Ohlins shock at the rear and spacers in the forks. It also has a LT style seat which sits you lower as well. I too am 6' 3" and thought I might have to reverse the lowering but have found that I have had no problems at all. I thought I may get cramps in the legs but it has been all good. Handling seems un-effected and it corners like a demon with no clearance issues so have a few rides first and see what you think, you might be surprised.

6Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
I have a friend who has a vstrom 650 he says 0-60 they are pretty hard to beat, so don't be shocked, but from 60 up these baby's go pretty good.

7Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:57 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Thanks, I will give it a try first to see if it works for me.

8Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:05 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you on board and look forward to hearing about how it goes.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:44 am

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome, mikidymac!

mikidymac wrote:...I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning...

That was me the weekend I went to pick up my RS. I've had it two weeks and the feeling hasn't worn off yet! Laughing

Soon To Be New Owner 177912

(#4)

10Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Thanks again everybody, I am getting excited. Going to pick her up on Sunday. It is nice to hear and sea how many of these are still on the road more than 20 years later.

11Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 pm

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
I can relate to the vertically challenged part! I can't quite stand flat footed while on the bike but I'll get over it! Congrats on the purchase! Mine came from a second owner so it's history was well known which is why 70,000 on the odometer didn't bother me.

12Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:25 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
I agree wngnutmv. This was my friend's fathers so I am technically the the third owner but my friend did not like it. Like I said this bike was gone through by a factory mechanic but has been sitting for about two years since that so I am going to replace the fluids and filters just to be safe. But the 100,000 miles does not bother me either. I will have to post some pics once I get her home.

13Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Well, I got her home safely but have not had a chance to play with her yet, the wife wants to decorate for the fall so she wins. I will try to get some pics up soon. It has 108,000 miles but at 105,000 miles it had everything done, and I mean everything with all OEM BMW parts. I was reviewing the list and it was about $3,000 in parts. New clutch, new driveshaft, wheel bearings, transmission and main seals, rebuilt water/oil pump, valves adjusted, final drive bearings and seals, stainless brake lines, new pads and rotors front and reat, wheel bearings, steering bearings, all fluids and filters, fuel lines, injector o-rings, spark plugs and wires, alternator and starter rebuilt, new coolant hoses and thermostat, fork rebuild with Race-Tech emulators, new sealed battery, you name it and it was replaced. The mechanic was a family friend and certified BMW mechanic so the work was top notch. This was all done 5 years ago so I will be replacing the fluids and oil filter.

The only issues I have found so far is the rear ABS module was bypassed so I have another post on that. The tires are old so I already have new ones and the radio speakers are missing. The paint is a little rough and goes from red to orange to silver as it has faded from living in the Mojave Desert, very retro! I do not have the money for a respray so that is just going to be part of her personality. The wheels have lost their shine so I will be repainting them when I replace the tires. I have not had a chance to ride her but my knees are mashed into the fairing but it would seem that this is standard for the K bikes. I thought Germans were tall, what were they thinking? It aslo has foam grips, Yuck! so those are going in the trash.

14Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 pm

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
Congratulation mikidymac. Color description interestin . Do be careful with the fuel system...if it has been sitting with fuel in the tank there may be degradation of the rubber dampener and fuel lines, potential to clog injectors etc. Enjoy. keith

15Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:04 am

Life time member
Life time member
Congrats Mickedymac sounds like a well cared for bus but if you're staying retro beware of painting anything.....it tends to set off a chain reaction Laughing

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

16Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
The days are getting shorter here and I keep running out of time to get pictures but the paint is not that bad. It is still shiney but areas are faded from the sun like the front fender and hard bags are almost silver and then the top box is orange and the fairing is almost red. The tank has been covered all of it's life so it is still the nice factory red. This bike was never painted and started red but the sun has faded different parts so it almost looks like a custom fade.

The fuel system was completely refurbished in 2007 but has been sitting so I might replace the filter and hoses as cheap insurance when I strip the bike. I like to strip all my bikes when I get them just to get familiar with them and make sure there are no hidden issues and loctite all bolts.

Thanks for all the friendly comments on this site.

17Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forums mikidymac Wink

18Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Pictures Added Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:47 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Pictures were added to first post.

19Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:08 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice looking bike! Are all those gauges factory? I didn't know about the volt and oil pressure gauges being an option.

OG

20Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:57 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Ripper paint job you'd pay a fortune to have it sprayed like that almost looks like a heavy metal flake finish
congrats mate

cheers Tony

21Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
What a great looking bike mikidymac, makes mine look positively spartan.
Well done
RT

22Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Mikidymac you will find that corbin will sell you a seat that allows you to sit the bike, its just possible the seat you have is set for someone 5'10" but sit the bike yourself and feel the riders triangle (pegs seat bars) and then tell corbin how much further back you need to sit, they will get a seat to you that will make the world a good and wonderful place again. This info comes from reading the american bmw internet site years ago when they were debating corbin seats verses russell seats. I bet not nuch has changed

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

23Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:52 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Thanks guys. It looks better in the photos because the paint has faded so many different colorts. I will not be repainting due to cost.

The oil pressure and volt gauges are BMW parts but did not come from the factory that way. The origional owner added them. I think they might be from an R-Bike.

The seat is a Corbin and on the bottom says, "Made by Corbin for BMW of North America". It is not that bad and I do not think I would spend the money to have it modified. It is a little more forward than I would like but I think I am going to have to get some time on it to make sure. Riding in town it seems fine.

At this point I have the bike apart to remove the trailer hitch and wiring as well as chasing some of the non-factory wiring and changing fluids.

The speakers are missing as you can see in the pictures. Anybody know any that will fit?

24Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I didn't notice the tow bars until a second look at the new pics! That's a serious looking seat and back rest & paintwork seems worst on the front fender and top box but I'm not sure I would be for redoing them. I have standard speakers out of the fairing at the moment if you want any measurement off them.

K75RTP - 1994

25Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 am

mikidymac

mikidymac
Thanks 88KE I have decided to not paint the bike but I will paint the wheels when I put the new tires on. the tires on the bike are dated 2003.

The seat appears to be origional and the top box has the BMW 100,000 mile award medal so the origional owner was serious.

I can't begin to explain how gracious I am to have been given this bike especially since the origional owner loved this bike eventhough he had many newer BMW's he never got rid of this one.

26Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
Agree with all,,,nice looking bike, immaculate finish on the parts.

27Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:26 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
What can you tell me about that massive backrest? I'd like to get something like that for my R1150RT. My wife would appreciate a larger backrest.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

28Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mikidymac wrote:
The speakers are missing as you can see in the pictures. Anybody know any that will fit?

they dont look original either ...from here they look like a standard 100mm speaker

if you are looking for a replacement ...do look for a "poly" coned speakers for weather resistance

you might find them at some marine suppliers ...but some of the better electronics places may have them as well

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

29Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:if you are looking for a replacement ...do look for a "poly" coned speakers for weather resistance

you might find them at some marine suppliers ...but some of the better electronics places may have them as well
Good advice, Charlie.

charlie99 wrote: they dont look original either ...from here they look like a standard 100mm speaker
But........where do you see the non genuine speakers???

30Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Club_C as far as I can tell the back rest is from Corbin because it is an exact match for the seat and it says, "Made by Corbin for BMW of North America". I am not sure if this was installed for the U.S. market or just this bike. I can pull the back rest off and see if there is any part numbers on it if you like.

Charlie99 there are no speakers only the factory holes and grill covers. The grill covers were removed in the pictures by me. In addition I think 100mm speakers are too big so I will have to use 4 inch:D . After tracing the wires it looks like the PO spliced the wires into an intercom plug so he could use his helmet speakers. I have decided to change his plug to a standard 3.5mm headphone jack so I can just use earbuds. I can't imagine the speakers would do much good on the highway because I use ear plugs. The headphone jack is much cheaper also.

31Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
mikidymac wrote:Club_C as far as I can tell the back rest is from Corbin because it is an exact match for the seat and it says, "Made by Corbin for BMW of North America". I am not sure if this was installed for the U.S. market or just this bike. I can pull the back rest off and see if there is any part numbers on it if you like.

The backrest shure is a Corbin, the genuine one looks like this:

Soon To Be New Owner K100lt10

32Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
Inge K is correct, I just checked the Corbin website and it shows the backrest for the K75-K100. Must have been a U.S. market option.

33Back to top Go down   Soon To Be New Owner Empty Re: Soon To Be New Owner Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:28 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, thanks, I shall check the Corbin website as well...

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum