BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty ABS Help Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
So I just got home with my new to me 1991 K100LT and after looking the bike over I noticed that the rear modulator has been bypassed and does not have any brake hoses going to it. The system intitalizes with the two red lights on the dash and after you activate the front and rear brakes they start flashing together then go off after you ride. I would like to get the system working. The previous owner and mechanic that did the work have passed away so I can not ask them what the issue was. My friend said he thought the rear brake was locked so they bypassed the modulator but that was 5 years ago so he was not sure if it was the modulator or brain that was bad.

My question is there a way to make sure it is the modulator that was bad and not the brain? It would seem to me that if the brain was bad it would not function correctly and send error lights and he said the front ABS works although I have not tried it. He did give me a used modulator but he never installed it and did not know the hoses were missing. If the modulator is bad is there any tests to rule it or the brain out? I plan on blowing compressed air into the modulator to see if it is open or blocked. It would seem that if it failed closed it should not flow air and if it is open it could be ok? Is this a fair assumption? I just wnat to rule out the brain before I spend the money on hoses to reconnect the modulator. If it is the brain I will not fix it due to cost but hoses are cheap to install the new/used modulator I was given.

2Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
First check if it`s any fault codes stored in the ECU (beside the obvious, rear modulator).

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

3Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:32 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
I will check for codes but if there were any wouldn't I have a flashing light?

4Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You have a point there...but it is also strange that the warning system behave like everything is normal,with the rear modulator disconnected.

5Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:07 pm

mikidymac

mikidymac
I will have to look at it but it is still electrically connected just not the brake hoses so all I can thing is the system assumes everything is ok. I am going to start by seeing if the fluid circuits are open and verify with my spare modulater. I am hoping the one on the bike is stuck closed but one would think the brain would detect this. Not sure how smart the system is.

6Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Don`t know the ABS I that well, but on ABS II you hear and feels that the hydraulic being tested during the self test.
But what feedback does the system rely on, no idea...
Haven`t got any problem with this (so far), so no need to study the different functions in detail.......

You might also find some info on this page:
http://bmwk10075abs1fix.web.fc2.com/

7Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:33 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
If it turns out the ABS brain is what has the fault the guy at the link posted by Inge is "The Man" when it comes to repairing ABS brains, when mine failed he fixed it very quickly and posted it back to me for less than the cost of what people were claiming as a working 2nd hand unit on ebay at the time. There is never a day when I ride my K when I don't offer up silent thanks to Tosi for his work in fixing mine. ABS has really worked for me saving my bacon on more than one occasion, I would never want to be without it and it was part of why I bought a K in the first place.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   ABS Help Empty Re: ABS Help Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
K-BIKE wrote:If it turns out the ABS brain is what has the fault the guy at the link posted by Inge is "The Man" when it comes to repairing ABS brains, when mine failed he fixed it very quickly and posted it back to me for less than the cost of what people were claiming as a working 2nd hand unit on ebay at the time. There is never a day when I ride my K when I don't offer up silent thanks to Tosi for his work in fixing mine. ABS has really worked for me saving my bacon on more than one occasion, I would never want to be without it and it was part of why I bought a K in the first place.
Regards,
K-BIKE

+1 Tosi has fixed 2 brains for me and both are still going well and as K Bike said for a heap less than an unknown used part of fleabay.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum