BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty K100 project final stages (?) Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:50 am

Hello to you all,

My saga goes on but draws to a close - I hope!

I had some electrical issues which are mostly sorted out.
The short circuit I had which was blowing fuse #2 (from top) has been resolved.
Brake light switches are both working and brake light is working.

Problem:
When the ignition is switched on the tail light comes on and stays on. In fact I tapped it and it came on and then stayed on in spite of moving the right handlebar light switch into different positions.
I am not sure if my bulb monitoring unit is working correctly. Could this be part of the problem?
Is it a faulty connection in the RH handlebar switch?
The wiring from the tail light to the bulb monitoring unit is good.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Best
N

2Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I would guess that this is a ignition switch problem,
if the front park lamp stay on also at the same time.

Ignition switch dismantling.

3Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep looks that way inge ....

nelly the ignition switch first switches the parkers on ....then in the full "on" position enables all the rest of the bike

i recon ...as inge suggests ...have a look in there ...we have seen this issue a few times

it would be nice to gather information on this ...like atmosphere that the bike is kept in ...( undercover outside ..garaged ) but i guess for many of us ..there would be no way of knowing past life .....or is it just wear ?

do you carry a big bunch of keys on the same keyring used for the bike ? (can have an adverse effect over time )

good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty tail light stays on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:00 am

Hi to you both
thanks for that. I will look at switch.

Bike is stored in garage...some parts I have takrn fron a donor bike, including rh swithgear... Contacts may need cleaning I am guessing from what you say.
Can put original switch back to see it that does it.
Donor bike history unknown.
Mine came from australia and ended up in my care.

Thanks. Will update.
N

5Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Sorry for the late answer, power supply to the house was lost.......

If you rather suspect the RHS switch assy, you don`t need to put the genuine back on.

Just undo the switch connector under the tank, and see if it makes any difference.

If not, your switch assy is OK.

Measure at the ig.sw.conn., if you got power on the on the grey wire.....and not on the grey/blue......it`s the ignition switch that is the problem.

6Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 am

guitbiking

I removed my radio and installed a 12v outlet. First try I had the wires confused and ended up with the parking light syndrome you describe. So apparently it can occur in a location unrelated to the switch. Sorry, I can not explain it, but only describe it.

7Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:54 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
guitbiking wrote:Sorry, I can not explain it, but only describe it.

Welcome Guitbiking!

Radio power supply and park light is connected in the same circuit, downstream from the ignition switch.

K100 project final stages (?) Radio10

8Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty tail light stays on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the interest in this issue. will update as to progress...
Thanks!
N

9Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:28 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Looking forward to that..........just curious.

10Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Update Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi All,

I removed the ignition switch and dismantled it to clean the contacts. Glad I did as there was a reasonable amount of muck in there...

There are 4 small springs and a small ball bearing - which would be easy to lose. The switch must ne opened very carefully. The images Inge posted a link to are very helpful I found.

And...

When the key is turned in the ignition should the parking light and tail light come on - even when the RH handlebar switch is in the off position?

I put the ignition switch back on the bike, turned the key and the tail light came on. The parking light too.

Any thoughts welcome...
Cheers, Neal
K100 project final stages (?) 2012-110

11Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty ignition switch Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:44 pm

K100 project final stages (?) 2012-115

12Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty ignition switch Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 pm

K100 project final stages (?) 2012-116

13Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:50 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like it is going well to the first position ....but it should go to the second position and activate the dash lights as well ? (parkers then turn off unless you have the rh switch in the on position )

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

14Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty ignition switch Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi
The dash lights do come on. Not sure if I put the switch back together right as it doesn't click into the first position and then the second position.. will investigate this.
Tail light stays on when the key is in any position other than off...
Is that normal? even when RH handlebar switch is in the off position?

Could there be a problem with the RH handlebar switch?

I would ride with the tail light on anyway.. so does it matter?

15Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Nelly the Faith Mechanic wrote:Could there be a problem with the RH handlebar switch?
Have another look at reply #5, to find out if it is RHS switch assy or ignition switch
that is the problem.

Since your instrument light also comes on, it could point in the direction RHS switch assy.

RHS switch assy dismantling.

16Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty SUCCESS Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 am

Hi to all,

I enjoyed the images of the RH handlebar switch dismantling - very helpful.

One thing that occurred to me is that the yellow light switch (RH handlebar switches) was not clicking into the 3 different positions. I remembered that the unit I had in place on the bike before (a spare) did operate well in this sense. I cleaned up the (new) switch and tried it out on the bike and the tail light problem disappeared.
So now the ignition key turns and brings on the parking light, which then goes off when ignition gets to the fully on position and the tail light only comes on when the light switch is actioned. In other words everything works as it should...

My stop light works and responds to both front and rear switch so electrics seems to be OK.

Test ride imminent...

Thanks to all for your help and (much more expert) input.
N

17Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K100 project final stages (?) Occasi12

18Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:45 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
excelent news nelly .....good riding mate !

19Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty she works Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Finally got to the point of firing her up and she ran beautifully. Purred... Rode around car park like a dream... Mot next... And then the open road...

20Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Nelly the Faith Mechanic wrote:Finally got to the point of firing her up and she ran beautifully. Purred... Rode around car park like a dream... Mot next... And then the open road...

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Another K got a second life.

Congratulation Nelly. Perseverance pays!

21Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty the forum Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:22 am

I am so happy. I have grown to love this bike!
This forum is just great! Knowledge generously shared.
Cheers
N

22Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
about time for a pic nelly ?

maybe as you leave the mot ...with it in your hand ? and a big cheezy grin perhaps ?

23Back to top Go down   K100 project final stages (?) Empty Re: K100 project final stages (?) Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:52 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
With the happy inspector beside? Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum