BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   oil weight causing my leak? Empty oil weight causing my leak? Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:14 pm

KlaustheK

KlaustheK
Silver member
Silver member
I recently changed my oil and ended up using lighter weight synthetic (15 w 50). I had 15 w 30 in it for the summer. Is this weight change why i suddenly have several small drip leaks? That is my current theory.

2Back to top Go down   oil weight causing my leak? Empty Re: oil weight causing my leak? Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
No the leak would have been there before unless its the oil filter cover leaking then you didn't clean it up before replacing it
also that new oil is actually a heavier weight oil the 15 is the light oil and 50 is heavy oil for when engine gets hot

Cheers Tony

3Back to top Go down   oil weight causing my leak? Empty Re: oil weight causing my leak? Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 am

Motorandy123

Motorandy123
Synthetics can clean the junk out that is sealing various seams on the bike. In the old days
it would cause seals to leak too but they supposedly use seal sweller now. 50W should be
thicker. You can fix the leaks or go back to dino (and possibly have trouble with the starter
sprag)...

4Back to top Go down   oil weight causing my leak? Empty Re: oil weight causing my leak? Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 am

KlaustheK

KlaustheK
Silver member
Silver member
News: Klaus heals himself. After about two weeks of slow drippage ( 5-8 drops a day) the leaking has stopped. I think the "seal swellers" have kicked in.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum