BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   swinging arm/nivomat Empty swinging arm/nivomat Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 pm

big bob

big bob
hi,only had the bike two weeks and was to be a winter project.Mot'd and and tax'd with one advisery on current mot cert,[rust and corrosion on frame from the seat to the back of bike]I stripped off back box, pans,seat ,and Nivomat unit,removed all rust and corrosion, primed was about to top coat when disaster the jack slipped and the full weight of the bike came down on the swinging arm.I jacked it up and placed a large wooden block under the bike which was on the side stand all this time.I gave the swinging arm a visual inspection and can see no damage.Is anyway of telling if any other damage to the unit as I am unwilling to road test untill I have checked all avenues.Had a R65 but K100s are new to me,great bike,I like it.cheers.big bob

2Back to top Go down   swinging arm/nivomat Empty swinging arm/nivomat Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:53 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi bigbob and welcome.
that's not a very good introduction to the mighty K for you.
My advice for what it is worth, is that now would be a good time to do a spline/drive shaft lube, as you will be taking the drive shaft out (after removing the swing arm and final drive), you can have a good look at the
swivel end, and teeth. You will soon see if anything is broken.
This is something that you should do early on anyway mate as it is something that previous owners never seem to worry about.

If you haven't already, go to the introduction section and tell us about yourself/bike history and your bike,
then you will get access to the secret handshake and download section. Lots of excellent step by step instructions.

Cheers
RT

3Back to top Go down   swinging arm/nivomat Empty Re: swinging arm/nivomat Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be doing as RT has recomended. The only damage that is likely is to the rubber boot that encloses the drive shaft at the front of the swingarm. Good idea to inspect and lube the splines, if the rubberboot is damaged it can be repaired by cleaning with acetone and gluing with superglue. Both my Ks have repaired boots and are holding up well.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   swinging arm/nivomat Empty swinging arm/nivomat Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:17 pm

big bob

big bob
Hi,many thanks to RT &RickG for the info .cheers big bob.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum